• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Beginner - Getting closer to fish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BillyC0304

Aug 4, 2016
Hi, I just started spearfishing and have yet to catch a fish. Ive done around 3-4 dives. How long did it take yall to get your first fish? I'm in pretty clear water using a 75 cm gun. Mostly, I'm having a hard time getting close enough to the fish to hit them. Maybe making too much noise during my duck-dive? I tried tapping my gun against the coral a few times while waiting on the bottom but fish don't really seem to come close. Any tips on stalking fish?

I got my first fish first time spearing - if I hadn't perhaps I wouldn't have been hooked. It was mainly luck and persistence (in a 2mm shortie wetsuit!). My brother caught several fish the first time he went freshwater angling and was hooked but caught nothing more for 2 or 3 years before learning more from local competition anglers from the local club.

Hide in weeds or behind rocks?

For curious fish:
With one finger, dig your finger in most of the way and flick up sand on the bottom trying to mimic a small crustacean burrowing, the more 'jerky' and repetitive your action, the better.

For bigger fish, use more sand. A handful etc
However, if you ever see a school of pufferfish, you will get that finger nipped :blackeye:

I got my first fish when I first time spearing... and,I kill fish in every next dive.My spearfishing area( adriatica ) is so poor with big fish, but allways can expect someone 30-45cm mullet or aurata...
I diving on the 4-10m deepth, and around big underwater rock's.
Good luck Billy.

Thanks, it seems I might need to slow things down a bit more. I'm waiting on the bottom( in weeds and coral beds) for the fish, but they don't seem to be very interested in coming closer.

Hi Billy,

I just picked up the hobby in August and have speared maybe 6 or 7 times. The first couple trips the visibility was less than the length of my gun (90cm) and we didn't see much. Finally I shot a snapper that kept swimming in circles in a hole and by chance shot another one right behind him! So my first fish was 3 trips in and I got 2 for the price of one.

Then I got 6 fish the next trip and 3 the trip after that and my most recent trip I got skunked while my buddy got his first fish finally (20" flounder) on his little 6' fiberglass pole spear. The skunk trip was by far the best visibility, the fish wouldn't let me get close and I didn't even see many.

Your 75 cm may not have the range you need if the viz is good.

Couple things I've noticed (take with a grain of salt):
*If you aren't seeing fish, shoot the gun. The sound can draw fish in.
*Scrape your speartip or something around the rocks for a while, it can attrack some fish.
*TURN AROUND when you've been sitting on the bottom for 20 seconds or so. Fish sometimes come in behind you to observe and turning around has got me my easiest shots at my best fish.

Keep at it!

Thanks, got my first 2 fish today ~ Before that, I've only speared a cuttlefish on a pole spear. Pretty terrible visibility today and also raining. I was getting ready to head back but decided to give it one more shot before heading back. Maybe the bad visibility helped today. Pretty much gun length visibility until I was around 3-4m down into the water. One question though, I've read alot about attracting fish with scratching around rocks/coral and also croaking but how much is too much? Like, do you guys scratch a few times and wait or keep at it. I always thought that the extra sound would scare fish away? Not too sure ~

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT