• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Beginner spearfishing in greece

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

E.lopezne

Aug 30, 2017
Hello, Does anyone have any recommendations to someone who is relatively new to spearfishing and planning a trip to Greece. I am going all of November, but my location is flexible. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Just back from 8 days in Greece, Crete, Chania. Tavropnitis, Afrata, Kissamos and Kolumbari. It is on the west side of Crete.I did a little bit of spearfishing there. Water was comfortable for skin diving, but it gets colder at depth. It should get colder in November, so my recommendation would be to use at least 3/2 mm wetsuit and weights. I had 75cm sling gun, and it was a very good setup for bigger fish, of which I got only one. The rest of my catch was smaller fish like wrasse, comber etc. I have seen some local spearo, obviously experienced fella, fishing at shallow depths like 10 ft, with small sling gun, perhaps 40 cm or smaller. He might have been after octopus as well. We were fishing side by side for some time. Beautiful waters to just freedive and enjoy. I have seen some murrays, rock fish and sea turtle. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. I will be looking into a wet suit I can use in Canada so a 4-5mm is currently what I'm looking at. I am planning on getting the pathos sniper R65 or 55 so I'm happy you had good results with a 75. I had the 75 and 95 sniper R but one size smaller will fit in my luggage and that's a good thing for me. I will look these places up.

Hello from Greece from what you say i would suggest that you should find a dive buddy and pick an island 3-4 hours near Athens where i suspect you will be landing there are many islands you can pick and to most of them have daily transportation from Piraeus harbor and that's for saving time and money.Secondly you should look for a relatively small one that you can cross it fairly quick with car or even scooter in case the places you find don't satisfy you,and look for shores with rocky sea bed once you wont be diving deep due to being beginner. The gun you will be needing should be at max 85cm with 2 pair of rubbers and wet suit max 5 mm and its also good having some good fins that won't be too hard on your feet cause you will have lots of swimming to do.You should have a boy or else you will have troubles with the coast guard and it would be a good idea getting a torch.As for the catch don't expect something big mainly small fish to medium size and those are quite frightened the visibility is quite good and the weather should be ok .Have fun

Reactions: E.lopezne
Hello from Greece from what you say i would suggest that you should find a dive buddy and pick an island 3-4 hours near Athens where i suspect you will be landing there are many islands you can pick and to most of them have daily transportation from Piraeus harbor and that's for saving time and money.Secondly you should look for a relatively small one that you can cross it fairly quick with car or even scooter in case the places you find don't satisfy you,and look for shores with rocky sea bed once you wont be diving deep due to being beginner. The gun you will be needing should be at max 85cm with 2 pair of rubbers and wet suit max 5 mm and its also good having some good fins that won't be too hard on your feet cause you will have lots of swimming to do.You should have a boy or else you will have troubles with the coast guard and it would be a good idea getting a torch.As for the catch don't expect something big mainly small fish to medium size and those are quite frightened the visibility is quite good and the weather should be ok .Have fun

Thank you very much for your response. Currently I am organizing my shopping list as some gear for this trip will be locally bought. I was planning on getting a Pathos sniper R 65, which is shorter than the 85 max and the rollers still help add a good amount of power. I have used this gun in the 95 and 75 size and was able to load and use it. I am looking into a 5 mm suit with some Cressi Sub gara modular Nery Fins. I was looking at a bouy that has holders and can be used as a resting raft for saftey (and to allow me to have a bit of storage space on the there. I am happy to say equipment wise I was on the right track.

I was thinking mainly doing coast line moving north toward croatia but I like the idea of Island hopping. I will look into going from athens port to various Islands. Thank you very much :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT