• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Beginner Spearfishing in Greece

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

El_Cid

Jun 29, 2021
Hi everyone,

I am looking to start spearfishing this summer in Greece. I will be sailing around Preveza & Lefkada this summer.
I have had little time to research properly - I have read some forum topics and watched some YouTube videos.
I was looking to order from spearfishing.de - I am not sure if there are better options in Europe. DO let me know please.

I have a good snorkel mask which I also used for diving so I am not looking for a mask or tube. I'm also ok with my fins. And to start without a wet suit for the shallow depths I am going to start at.
I added 2 float lines as I will have a free dive buddy - and I thought it would be better for both of us to be connected to the Float? Actually I was thinking for myself - to connect the speargun instead of my belt. Is that ok?

PS: if a pneumatic would be a better option for the kind of fishes & location, let me know.

This is what I came up with:​

NumberItemSinglepriceTotalRemove
Knife Omer Minilaser22,80 EUR22,80 EUR
Speargun Rob Allen Scorpia
Barrel:70 cm.
97,00 EUR97,00 EUR
Rob Allen belt Marseillaise27,00 EUR27,00 EUR
Rob Allen Foam Filled Float 12 Liter65,00 EUR65,00 EUR
Omer Bungee Float Line, 8 m.15,50 EUR15,50 EUR
Picasso Anchor Belt, 0,5 kg12,31 EUR12,31 EUR
Picasso Quick Weight, 1 kg.12,00 EUR24,00 EUR
Gloves Cressi Tropical 2 mm
Size:L
16,00 EUR16,00 EUR
Rob Allen Stringer Nylon10,00 EUR10,00 EUR
Omer Bungee Float Line, 12 m.
Lenght:12 m
20,00 EUR20,00 EUR
incl. UST 19%: 49,43 EUR
Sub-total: 309,61 EUR
excl. Shipping costs

Hi everyone,

I am looking to start spearfishing this summer in Greece. I will be sailing around Preveza & Lefkada this summer.
I have had little time to research properly - I have read some forum topics and watched some YouTube videos.
I was looking to order from spearfishing.de - I am not sure if there are better options in Europe. DO let me know please.

I have a good snorkel mask which I also used for diving so I am not looking for a mask or tube. I'm also ok with my fins. And to start without a wet suit for the shallow depths I am going to start at.
I added 2 float lines as I will have a free dive buddy - and I thought it would be better for both of us to be connected to the Float? Actually I was thinking for myself - to connect the speargun instead of my belt. Is that ok?

PS: if a pneumatic would be a better option for the kind of fishes & location, let me know.

This is what I came up with:​

NumberItemSinglepriceTotalRemove
Knife Omer Minilaser22,80 EUR22,80 EUR
Speargun Rob Allen Scorpia
Barrel:70 cm.
97,00 EUR97,00 EUR
Rob Allen belt Marseillaise27,00 EUR27,00 EUR
Rob Allen Foam Filled Float 12 Liter65,00 EUR65,00 EUR
Omer Bungee Float Line, 8 m.15,50 EUR15,50 EUR
Picasso Anchor Belt, 0,5 kg12,31 EUR12,31 EUR
Picasso Quick Weight, 1 kg.12,00 EUR24,00 EUR
Gloves Cressi Tropical 2 mm
Size:L
16,00 EUR16,00 EUR
Rob Allen Stringer Nylon10,00 EUR10,00 EUR
Omer Bungee Float Line, 12 m.
Lenght:12 m
20,00 EUR20,00 EUR
incl. UST 19%: 49,43 EUR
Sub-total: 309,61 EUR
excl. Shipping costs
What depth can you dive ? Without a wetsuit, in an hour you will feel uncomfortable! At least a shorty of 3mm. One surface balloon for both is ok! When you dive for spearfishing with a buddy, it's supposed to be next to you! One is diving, the other is on top to check. Get also a small flashlight. Your only chance to catch a fish is searching holes on rocks!

What depth can you dive ? Without a wetsuit, in an hour you will feel uncomfortable! At least a shorty of 3mm. One surface balloon for both is ok! When you dive for spearfishing with a buddy, it's supposed to be next to you! One is diving, the other is on top to check. Get also a small flashlight. Your only chance to catch a fish is searching holes on rocks!
Hey man, thanks for the feedback. I have a diving light as well. But the issue is that in Greece you are not allowed to use diving lights or to spearfish before sunrise or after sunset.

What about the gear selection - are the items alright? Do I miss anything obvious? The speargun comes with one spear included right? :)
Thanks again!

Hey man, thanks for the feedback. I have a diving light as well. But the issue is that in Greece you are not allowed to use diving lights or to spearfish before sunrise or after sunset.

What about the gear selection - are the items alright? Do I miss anything obvious? The speargun comes with one spear included right? :)
Thanks again
During night is indeed illegal. I mean, a small flashlight for daylight, which is also illegal! I only use it when, after a miscatch, the wounded fish hides in a hole! Sometimes holes are very dark, even at 13.00. I don't know how they sell the speargun. Usually comes complete, ready for action! The rest is strictly personal choice!

Something longer I would think. 70cm would probably be ok for the often murky waters of Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex but for the Mediterranean, which is often much clearer in my limited experience, I would think 80/90/100/110 might be a better choice. I think 90cm might be a good length to start with but ask around and find out what the experienced locals use.

Just one float-line and yes, you can clip it to the butt of your speargun - and that is usually the safest bet to start with ;)

I've never seen anyone clip their spearing buoy to their belt but I think some of the Dorset spearos do that(?). I can see some logic to it (e.g. helps your dive partner find you if you don't come up, helps recovery if you have to drop you weight belt) but it could also be a tangle hazard.

Last edited:
I like most of the products on your list ;). I have an RA solid float but rarely use it. An inexpensive inflatible torpedo shaped float job is lot smaller, lighter and convenient in practice. Cressi had some nice looking single skin floats in orange or yellow I think. Lots of other options around too. I always carry a simple, single skin torpedo float with me as a spare and for long walk-ins. I have a fancier float now but it's not really any better - for each advantage it has there is also a disadvantage.

The solid floats are advantageous for very large fish that are able to pull your float underwater! In which case you'll often need 2 floats in series. The second one could optionally be large, robust (expensive), inflatable and pressurised.

Last edited:
I've got both the nylon covered wire RA stringer and their mono stringer. They are excellent. And the heavy duty swivel is a good feature. I haven't used the second one yet but the quality looks to be good and the long, sharp needle the same; I think newer ones have a notch for some reason that I forget. One slight concern would be how hard it might be to cut the thick, hard, twisted doubled mono if used as a waist stringer - somewhat harder than my cheap Omer waist stringers, which have softer single mono and much shorter, blunter needles (slightly too short and blunt for my tastes but perfectly functional and they can be sharpened to some extent if you want that).

A light in Greece is illegal. I hear all kinds of excuses, like 'for safety', but in reality people carry them to catch Rofos (dusky grouper). Learn to do without. Already the spearfishers get the blame for all that is wrong with the sea and next year we get another round of limitations imposed on us including a 2 month fishing ban (instead of 1).

More visibility, larger gun. I only partially agree. A 160cm gun in 1m visibility isn't very practical, but in Greece 30+ metres visibility is quite normal. No gun shoots 30m. I use an 82 invert roller (which shoots like a 90+) and so far it's plenty (Crete; clear water and rocky shores). Other locals use anything up to 120cm, but shoot the same fish as I do (but much smaller, wtf?).

Like X's advice for a portable float, I would advice the same for the gun and fins. If you travel by car or boat you can go bigger, but if for example you do long hikes to remote places (which you should if you want to catch anything decent), portability becomes a major factor. The best gun is the one you can actually take with you.

Greek fish are skittish. They are hunted constantly. Because of this your best weapon is relaxation and the best training for this is to go spearfishing often but without a gun (don't bring it at all, leave it at home). Observe and try to get as close as possible; learn to be a fish. Then on the gun day try to keep this behavior, which is easier said than done.

82cm invert roller...shoots like a 90+? Probably shoots like 100+ doesn't it? I suppose in theory it could shoot like a single band 120 (both having similar ~80cm draw length) - phew.

Reactions: Leander
I wanted to say 90-100. The band pull is the same, but a 100 has a heavier spear so has more momentum. Anyway it shoots quite well for it's compact build.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT