• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Beginner

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Chico

Sep 8, 2004
To forum members,

I would appreciate if anybody could give me advice on how to improve holding my breath underwater.
I am starting a scuba diving instructor course and the swim test has some underwater breath holding tests, such as being able to hold your breath for 1 min, swimming 33 meters, ditch and recovery of skin diving gear and this is after a 2 min rest from just having completed a 825 meter swim with snorkelling gear.
I think I am fit enough but am finding it really hard to hold my breath any longer than about 40 secs, and that's above the water while resting.
The course will run over a period of about 3 months and I need to be able to reach the standard by the end.

Please help

Chico

Hey Chico,

The best way to learn how to do this is simply to do it. It would be good to have a buddy on hand. It sounds like a bit of a stress test, so maybe a bit of lap swimming while holding your breath would help. Just try not to get too stressed out. Try reading other threads about breath holding. You can find them in the beginner's forum, or use the search function and type in 'apnea'. Those will probably help you a lot. Good luck!

Improvement

Batray,

Thanks. By using the advice in the posts I've been able to improve to the point I believe I'll be able to pass the underwater tests. I'll continue to train using your advice about breath holding while swimming.

Appreciate it,
CHico

Reactions: immerlustig
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT