• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Beginner's Story

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mccabejc

Aug 24, 2005
A couple of months ago I started seriously practicing my breath holding for a skindiving class I'm taking (part of an advanced scuba class). When I started out, my static breathold (relaxed, sitting in a chair) was maybe 45 seconds at best. Since then my static has improved to a best of around 1:45.

My underwater breath hold was at best maybe 15 or 20 seconds, and after a lot of practice I can now do a best of around 45 seconds while exerting myself (swimming underwater).

What I've learned is this:

My brain had a very tough time letting me hold my breath for a long time when my head was submerged. I could lie in the pool face down, very still, and get 1:15 breath holds, but as soon as I went completely underwater and did the same thing, my times dropped back to maybe 15 or 20 seconds. So a lot of it was mental. And pretty illogical. So what I did was started out the exercises with floating on the water, relaxed, face down to get my brain accustomed to the idea. That helped a LOT with my swimming underwater breatholds. Funny how you can "show" your mind it's being ridiculous and it starts to come around :D

Also, originally I think I was overdoing the "3 deep breaths" procedure in that I think it ruined my relaxation. Just yesterday I realized that I could get much better underwater times if leading up to the exercise I totally relaxed my breathing to where it would be if I was zoned out watching TV. Shallow breaths, very calm. Then I do one deep exhale, then a deep inhale (stomach first then chest), and that's when my UW times really improved.

Also, originally, after I held my breath as long as I could and surfaced, my heart would be palpitating quite a bit, and beating hard. And my contractions were pretty intense, also. But in the last week or so of practicing both have subsided a lot, and I feel much more relaxed with the exercises.

Anyway, I think I'm at the stage where improvements are mainly a function of mental conditioning (getting my brain used to the idea), relaxation and continued practice.

Any comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi mccabejc,
Welcome to DB. Sounds like you are doing pretty good on you own. You've already figured out that relaxation is key, followed by practice. There is a great deal of information in these forums, just look through the threads and/or learn to use the search function to find info on what you want. Come back with a specific question(s) and you will get an answer.

Have fun learning.

Connor

Hey Man,
Congrats on figuring so much out already, that's very impressive. However, there is still a lot to learn.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: DO NOT DIVE WITHOUT A BUDDY! When you are still a beginning apneist your mind will not allow you to go too far, however, once you get a little better you can actually push yourself to the point of unconsciencousness (aka blackout), which could prove fatal if in the water. YOU MUST HAVE A DESIGNATED BUDDY watching you carefully at all times during a breath hold. (lifeguards don't count, they won't notice if you black out) Do a search on the forums to find the proper safety techniques for reviving a blacked out buddy.

These forums have so much to offer, the search function is magical, and everyone is friendly and helpful. Welcome aboard, keep posting, and stay wet. :cool: Till Later...

~Picksmith

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT