• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best Backplate?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Amphibious

Working Class Spearo
Mar 17, 2002
What backplate did you choose and why?

What fits you best?

Anyone getting custom plates done?

rigidity vs. weight?

Willer

I've got an OMS stainless backplate, weighs 6 lbs., has holes all the way around for attaching accessories. Fits well, I'd highly recommend it.

Dale

I have two different Diverite backplates.
One is stainless steel and weighs about 6 pounds. I use it with my drysuit for both singles and doubles. My other one is plastic. I use it for warm water travel with my Halcyon 27# wing. It is very lightweight and travels well.
I bought them becasue they were cheaper than the Halcyon- not much you can screw up on a backplate!
Jon

Halcyon & AGIR

I like the old Halcyon backplates, since they have multiple holes for attaching the tanks. That way you don't need to move the bands.

AGIR is nice brad as well, have only seen it in Sweden though..

Both come in 4kg plates, nice and heavy :D!!!

/Andy

I've got a OMS stainless backplate. With my OMS 45lb wings I use it for everything. Single or twin tanks. Salt or fresh water. I'm using a diverite deluxe harness with it.

Reactions: Pekka
Divetec Backplate

Check out the backplates manufactered by the German Thomas Winkelmann.

The Backplate is made of steinless Steel (ss 316 Ti) and lasercut. The density of the surface and the treatment with glasspearls in the end of the manufacturing process makes it undestroyable.

more infos?: www.divetec.de
(watchout! Site kept in German!)

Hi....a backplate ís just a piece of metal.The most important thing about is the material choice. This choice depends of your gear rig. Drysuit, semidry wetsuit ..means stainless steel.....5mm or less wetsuit specially when shallow diving is done...aluminium with a weight bell... it will become safer and handlier your equiment...you know keep your back in good shape.

will_tekkie from spain.

I have two Dive Rite backplates, a 6 lb. stainless and an ABS plastic model. I use the steel plate during November through March when I need more weight for the 6 mil suit, hood and gloves. I bolt on an extra 5 pounds to help break the surface.

During the rest of the year the ABS plate rigged exactly the same works great with my 100 cu. ft. Pressed Steel Tank. If I dive with just a tee shirt and swim trunks it's all I need. If I use a 3 mil shorty I will add a three pound bar on the backplate.

These setups are used strictly for single tank diving.

Hope this helps.

Jim Baldwin

Originally posted by Amphibious
What backplate did you choose and why?

What fits you best?

Anyone getting custom plates done?

rigidity vs. weight?

Willer

I know one diver in Ottawa (met Diving with the WetOwls) who has his plate - seemed pretty nice.

That link didn't work, but I'll try a google search.

Thanks for reminding me!

Willer

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT