• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best fins for spearfishing?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
are you guys diving with fins like these?

fins have improved dramatically since the 1960's
you may want to look into something a little more modern.

those look designed for a pool, a long time ago.

Newer may be better for you and others, but it doesn't mean better for everybody! Fortunately, people have choices in this life and everybody doesn't have to follow the crowd when they move inexorably and expensively from one technology to the next. I, for example, choose not to own a mobile phone and I've managed perfectly well without one.

I subscribe to several vintage diving online forums, whose members often speak of encounters with non-vintage divers (we nickname the more outspoken of them "the scuba police") who will generally, and not very originally, say "that stuff will kill you!" when they see our classic gear. Well, we're still alive, me in my 60s and others with the same interest in even more senior years. We're a conservative lot and we take the view "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" A few younger divers and snorkellers do join these groups in search of something different, a gentler way of life. And it's wrong to assume that just because many or most people in the west have moved over to composite fins, the rest of the world must have followed suit. The Japanese still snorkel and dive on the whole with all-rubber full-foot fins (Gull Mews etc), which they manufacture in their own country, and they would take it most amiss if you dismissed what they have on their feet solely as "pool fins". If you prefer your fins made from modern synthetics, good for you, I'm glad they match your requirements perfectly. However, each to his own, and I'll stick to what I prefer too.

Newer may be better for you and others, but it doesn't mean better for everybody! Fortunately, people have choices in this life and everybody doesn't have to follow the crowd when they move inexorably and expensively from one technology to the next. I, for example, choose not to own a mobile phone and I've managed perfectly well without one.

I subscribe to several vintage diving online forums, whose members often speak of encounters with non-vintage divers (we nickname the more outspoken of them "the scuba police") who will generally, and not very originally, say "that stuff will kill you!" when they see our classic gear. Well, we're still alive, me in my 60s and others with the same interest in even more senior years. We're a conservative lot and we take the view "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" A few younger divers and snorkellers do join these groups in search of something different, a gentler way of life. And it's wrong to assume that just because many or most people in the west have moved over to composite fins, the rest of the world must have followed suit. The Japanese still snorkel and dive on the whole with all-rubber full-foot fins (Gull Mews etc), which they manufacture in their own country, and they would take it most amiss if you dismissed what they have on their feet solely as "pool fins". If you prefer your fins made from modern synthetics, good for you, I'm glad they match your requirements perfectly. However, each to his own, and I'll stick to what I prefer too.

in some countries they dont use toilets, so its safe to say that you dont use modern plumbing?
if it aint broke , why fix it
Or do you pick and choose which new things are ok?

so diving with orange stubby pool fins makes you some sort of diving purist?
I can see if you were whittling them out of a block of wood, but orange rubber?
btw: i use cheap plastic cressi fins ,AND i can swim circles around you in those fins- thats a fact.
are you using the traditional bamboo snorkel too?

like my dad used to say: one mans ceiling is another mans floor.
i think your buddies were right "that stuff will kill you"
lol

Last edited:
Well, the Japanese, who almost exclusively dive with all-rubber fins, are among the cleanest in the world and they do have toilets, being a first-world nation like the US or UK and their engineering is world-class too! I've been to their country so I know. If you enjoy using your plastic fins, I'm pleased for you. Go on using them. But I'll stick to my choice too when I snorkel in the North Sea, something I've been doing for over half a century now. As for your statement

>Or do you pick and choose which new things are ok?<

Don't you? I suggest you read Huxley's "Brave New World" if you're in the habit of swallowing whole everything new that people throw at you.

> can swim circles around you in those fins- thats a fact.

And why would I want to swim circles around you instead?

>i think your buddies were right "that stuff will kill you" lol<

Have you even taken the trouble to read what I've written? My buddies are people who choose to snorkel and dive vintage. We crack jokes all the time on our vintage diving forums about people who choose, through their purchases, to swell the coffers of the oil companies and the egos of chemical engineers.

By the way, here's a report by an Australian underwater photographer who shares my choice of fins:

91050.png

My favourite kit - Pete Atkinson - Divernet

This is what Pete says about his choice of fins: "I currently use the best fins I have ever used, but no dive store in Cairns will stock them, as they aren't profitable enough. They are orange and blue, Malaysian rubber fins by Eyeline, available from a local sports shop for £20. From new, I could snorkel for a couple of hours without any hint of blisters. They are stiff enough that I can push a Seacam housing around all day. For the diving I do, such full-foot fins are by far the best. Manufacturers continue to dream up fancy expensive gimmicks to extract more money from us. I'll concede that a few of these might actually be useful but, offhand, I can't think of any."
My favourite kit - Pete Atkinson - Divernet

You can tell from his photo that he's one happy man, happy with his choice of gear. And so am I with mine.

I don't want to end on a sour note, so let's just agree to disagree. There's no way I'm going to convince you, and you're certainly not going to convince me either if the only tools you use are ridicule. So, as the French say, "Vive la différence!" (Long Live Diversity). I'm sure you don't want to live in a totalitarian country, such as Stalin's USSR or the Third Reich, where everybody, including divers, is attired uniformly. I certainly don't and I think the world is more of a wonderful place because the people in it are all different.

Last edited:
no worries,
i was just messing around anyway, dont take it personal.
it wasnt meant to be.
i use alot of old cheap dive gear too, to be honest
(just not THAT old-) lol.
the reason I choose to get the cheaper stuff is purely financial
in alot of ways, scuba and freediving equipment hasnt improved much
over the years, but fins are one area that HAS seen drastic improvement
so, if you ARE picking and choosing which new things are ok, you may
want to reconsider on the fins.
what about masks? do you have one of those james bond
masks from goldfinger?
tell me you have one of those silver wetsuits?
im actually warming to the idea of some vintage stuff,
but i still like big fins. i dont care what they are made from really.

I suspected a little "tongue in cheek", but how can you tell in an online discussion group where the words, not the body language, have to do the talking?:eek:

No, I don't try to emulate Sean Connery's James Bond, who we recognised to be a make-believe character even back in the 1960s. I do use an old-school oval mask, however, and I'm delighted to see messages appearing on Scubaboard talking about the vision advantages of a higher volume mask, while recommending low-volume masks to the majority of people.

I do take your point about fin development and I can see advantages in newer technologies when pushing the limits, but that's not something I want to do anyway now I'm classed as a senior citizen and am happy to take things more gently. Vintage has its place, perhaps not for everyone, but I've many friends in the vintage diving community and we enjoy swapping historical tidbits relating to our favourite pastime.

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Paul
Marwan,
Fins are a very personal thing soft ,hard etc
A few things to consider ;try before you buy. You will quickly discount any fin that does not feel right.
The comfort of the footpocket is crucial ,there is nothing worse than cramps induced by ill fitting fins.
There are many good makes on the market C4 ,OMER ,SPIERRE,etc

Personally I have found an excellent compromise between power and comfort combined in one fin with a tough carbon /plastic mix is the
Beuchat carbon pro. I will use these in preference to other carbons as they are less fragile .
Whatever you choose enjoy your fishing.
Best regards
Mike.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT