• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best fins under $100?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Wierd fish

Jan 30, 2003
I am looking for a good pair of fins for under $100.

I have been using my fins(used for scuba) while freediving, and they are way so short/stiff/etc. I would like the open foot/adjustable typs fins as I am pretty used to that feeling. I have never used a full closed foot(no boot) fin.

Let me know what the best choices are, and the disadvantages of them(if any)

THANKS for the help guys.

Sporasub fins H. Dessault (full foot).

For fins under $100 the "Sporasub fins H. Dessault (full foot)" are my favorite.

Between my regular buddy, Ted, who has these fins and a pair of Cressi HF's, and I, who has a pair of Picasso Black teams, like these the best. We have gone back and forth witht he three different pairs in shallow water, sprearfishing, and deeper water, 100' is deep to us anyway. The SPorasub have the most comfortable foot pocket and the best kick. When you want to spend some more money inthe future, to get a pair of C4 blades:D , you can switch the footpockets over without a problem.

For more expensive fins I like the C4's, but Ted is "still" waiting on his new Sebak fiber-blade fins to compare.;)

Hope this helps,

Jon

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I will look into it.

Come on guys, I know you guys have gone through some fins.

Hi Wierd Fish,
--It could be the cost factor is limiting the number of replies you're getting: sorry to admit it, but fins are pricey!
I lucked into 2 pair Cressisub fins a few years ago at about $20 a pair (they were the Rondele and Rondine Light-- considered snokeling fins) and loved 'em. Light, comfortable footpocket fins...and when they wore out, discovered they are no longer made. So, I've stuck with Cressi and just got my first pair of 2000HF.
--If you take a good look at what the Original Fathers of Spearfishing wore (at least here in SoCal) ---guess what?
--They wore Churchills! (hope I spelled them correctly)
The best advice I heard here about fins was to wear what feels comfortable to you.
Hope this is helpful :)

You can get the Cressi Gara HFs at LeisurePro for about $70. The Millenium Comps almost make it under the wire at $115. AB Billers fall in between these two and weigh in at almost exactly $100

Shipping is about 9 bucks.

If you are buying a lot of stuff at once, then the Deeper Blue shop is a pretty good place to go and has comparable prices, but for onsey-twosey stuff the shipping to the U.S. is just too expensive -- so expensive in fact that someone could probably do ok being an agent for Scuba Store in the U.S. (i.e. receiving consolidated orders from several people and then re-shipping the items to the various folks who ordered them).

I've owned Esclapez too and still like the Sporasub plastic blades better, plus you can change out the blades to something nicer down the road. You can't do this with the Escalpez because of the "over-molding" of the footpocket. It makes for a nice attachment to the blade, but they are not interchangeable.

Ted, and I both own other fins, but they don't fall into your $100 limit.

Sebak, Specialfins, has some fins that come in at 99 Euro's. They might work, but I think that they have straight blades with no bend in front of the foot pocket. I believe that some of the guys on here have use them. Maybe someone will comment on how well they like them.

Jon

Check out the Cressi Gara 3000, they might fall in the 100$ range.

Adrian

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT