• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

best general-purpose mask for big nose

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

wolfie

Apr 8, 2004
Hi,

First I want to say, it's been a pleasure reading back-posts, many of you really know your stuff.

I am not really a freediver in the spearfishing/deep freediving sense, rather I generally just go snorkelling and free-dive to very shallow depths (~30 feet at most, typically less) as well openwater swimming/screwing around.

Anyway, my mask recently broke (an old Cressi-sub Galileo) and I'm looking to get something much better. I'm looking at Cressi-subs at the moment, but welcome any advice.

My main concerns in the past have been:

Fogging, Scratches, Flooding, Poor peripheral vision, Eyestrain/glare

I think scratches can be solved with the non-acrylic lenses that I think the Big Eyes and Matrix have. I think they also solve peripheral vision and eyestrain issues. Fogging.. I think this has something to do with scratches, but I welcome input here.

That really leaves flooding which is a big problem for me historically. I've never had a mask or goggles that fit me properly with consistent results. I think it has something to do with the fact that I have quite deep-set eyes and a fairly high nose bridge, which means I think I usually get leaks towards the sides of the mask near the outside of the eyes. If I do have a tight fit, it usually results in lots of pressure on my nose bridge. I really would love a mask that doesn't leak and can be comfortably worn.

According to what I've read the Big Eyes may be the solution for me, has anyone used them or would be so kind as to recommend anything else?

Mahalo,
- Brian

Reactions: donmoore
I would try the Technisub Look.

I have same problems and these fit beautifully.

Hi Wolfie :)
As far as fit goes, it really is best to get yourself to a shop and try them on, as all our faces are different and what fits someone with a similar face to you wont nessecerally fit you. It should stay on your face when you just put it there without the strap and create a little suction but not having to keep breathing in through your nose to keep it therer.
The fogging and scratching thing can be answered by getting a mask with a "Glass" lens or lenses, not acrylic. When the mask is new the lenses have a layer of greasey stuff on them, clean this off with toothpaste (glass only) and then before use spit on your lenses, rub it all over the lens and then rinse with water before wearing. This should solve all your problems.
Hope this is of some help :)
Ali

Reactions: donmoore
OOH!! Forgot :)
when trying it on try with a snorkel in place too as this may affect the fit and check finger access to your nose :hmm Im not suggesting that you may want a pick by the way rofl just for equalising :D

If the noose is the problem I have a mask which has irritatingly big space for the noose.

Seeman sub - bandit

Sebastian

I have the same problem with the bridge of my nose. Take a look at the Beuchat mask. Glass lense and good compromise between visibility and low volume too.
Aloha
Bill

Since you are not going deep, a very low volume mask isn't necessary. I would go for mid volume, real good field of vision, and a good fit. Alison is right on, try'em in the shop. One specific suggestion. Sea vision uses a frame/skirt that fits a big nose (like mine) and has excellent vis. If it fits your face, it is good. Other mask makers use the same frame with a glass lense for a lot cheaper than sea vision. Glass will be better for you.

Good luck

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT