• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best Hunter floats??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jon

Dairyland diver
Supporter
Apr 7, 2001
My OMER America float died last night. :( It had been coming for some time, but last night was the burial.

I have a small R.A. 7 liter as a back up, but need something bigger- got to be able to tie all of those lost anchors to something when I find them. :)

I've seen Whopperhead's Shardana up close, but it doesn't deflate and if I'm going to drag along something that large I might as well bring my kayak.:head

I had been interested in one of these Technofloats, but I see they have been discontinued: Omer Technofloat [Technofloat] - $97.95 : The Spearfishing Store

I really liked the storage bag and multiple tie-downs for spearguns, cameras, and other toys. I also like how it deflates so I can pack it on my bike.

I've seen this one and wondered if anyone on here has one, and what they thought of it? Okipa double bladder board BEST HUNTER Buoys Accessories United States Of America Dive Scuba store .com

After my issues with the OMER America float I've ruled out the Atoll.

Thanks,

Jon

Attachments

• best hunter float.jpg
    best hunter float.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 293
Reactions: Mr. X
No one- really???

Well, I just ordered one and it should be here early next week. I'll post photos once I get it and try it out.

I was looking for an inflatable version of the Shardana and this is the closest thing I could find.

Jon

Reactions: spaghetti
Here's a few more shots of the float from the sale site and a shot of my float in action.

The only thing I didn't like about it was the sub-standard flag that came with it- same one that comes with most of the OMER floats. I replaced it with one of my other flags and it works much better.

I really like all of the extra pockets and bungie straps on top of it. I have places to tie down stuff like never before- cameras, masks, food, water, crocks, etc. It's good for hauling around a couple of found anchors, but not four. I can even strap three guns and a couple of extra shafts to the bottom of it.

I was seriously thinking about the OMER Shardana, but wanted something lighter that I could pack away for travel- something that the Shradana cannot do.

Jon

Attachments

• okipa1.jpg
    okipa1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 320
  • okipa2.jpg
    okipa2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 254
  • okipaG.jpg
    okipaG.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 229
  • float.jpg
    float.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 282
Reactions: the_milkman
Is that the Okipa, right? I'ts very popular here in Italy, and I've considered it many times before I bought the Seatec "Island" (just because it was a bit cheaper).
Best Hunter/Best Divers is a quality brand and I'm very satisfied with my BestHunter bits of gear (I own BH anklewieghts, socks and balloon buoy: all well made and durable). The company is based 35km from where I'm living so I'm happy that it's being successful in far cold (and did I say far?) Dairyland.

Reactions: settingsteel
Looks like I could pitch a tent on it too.

Just by looking at this thing, I'm kinda 'pitchin a tent' :) Gotta get me one of them; I've been looking at these for a little while now.

Is there a N. American store to order from, or are they all Europe?

I ordered mine from scubastore.com

Jon

I finally decided to order one like yours Jon, and now I don't want to pay $42 for shipping. I will keep looking.

That's the issue when ordering from Scubastore- the shipping.

I looked elsewhere and couldn't find it. The best thing to do is to bundle a few things you want and order all at once. Ted and I used to combine orders all the time to cut down on shipping. The first item you order is pretty expensive, but with everything added onto it the price doesn't really go up that much.

I know that Kalin was looking to order some stuff, and I just bought a new wetsuit from them last month. I'm sure that someone around here will want to order something from them before spring.

BTW: The float is great. My second choice was one like Scott's (Shardana), but I decided that was just too large and couldn't be deflated for travel.

Jon

I got mine for Christmas from dad..its an Imersion float..Big plastic but not so heavy. I can't find it anywhere across the web. What do you think about it?

Attachments

• inde2x.jpg
    inde2x.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 276
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 261
I think it looks great for a solid float- kind of like the Shardana. I wanted something I could deflate and pack small for travel- which is why I went with the Best Hunter float.

I am still seriously contemplating ordering my Okipa soon. Still just have to get over the jitters of paying almost $200 CDN (by the time everything is said and done) for ultimately a diving buoy. Way too overpriced given what it is.

They are so freakin' cool though by the looks of them I will just have to get over it :)

I am going to order some stuffs from them in a week or two...Okipa is one of them...Group buy??

I think that Ted (Unirdna) was looking to get a new float too.

A group buy sounds like the way to go- too bad I missed out. :(

why have such a large float? i tried dragging my buddies big plastic omer float, and everytime i would swim a little, the line would go tight and i would have to reach over and yank some slack. i use a lifeguard buoy, filled with closed cell foam, and it slides through the water effortlessly. are you guys using these for lake hunting? maybe it would make sense for that if you dont have a boat. for pelagics i like something that is sleek. you could rest on it though, maybe?

When I get out on the lake I like to spend 6-8 hours in the water. I strap food, water, cameras, extra mask, stringer, couple of Hawaiian slings or spearguns, and my crocks on top of it. I also want enough buoyancy to support at least two lost anchors that I might find.

I have smaller, foam filled torpedo, floats that I used to use, but the boats can't see them and they don't hold much in the way of gear. I also have a dive kayak and access to dive charter boats and don't use the float when diving off of those.

Jon

When I get out on the lake I like to spend 6-8 hours in the water. I strap food, water, cameras, extra mask, stringer, couple of Hawaiian slings or spearguns, and my crocks on top of it. I also want enough buoyancy to support at least two lost anchors that I might find.

I have smaller, foam filled torpedo, floats that I used to use, but the boats can't see them and they don't hold much in the way of gear. I also have a dive kayak and access to dive charter boats and don't use the float when diving off of those.

Jon

i see, makes sense. hows the vis in the lake?

Today the vis was great- at least the part that wasn't covered by ice. rofl
spring and fall are good, but mid summer is awful.

Here's some shots of my float coated with a nice layer of ice.

Jon

Attachments

• icy float.jpg
    icy float.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 260
  • icy float 2.jpg
    icy float 2.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 258
Today the vis was great- at least the part that wasn't covered by ice. rofl
spring and fall are good, but mid summer is awful.

Here's some shots of my float coated with a nice layer of ice.

Jon

are you serious? you swim during the winter? full dry suit, i hope. jeez man, if you are that dedicated to this why not move? i did. i used to live in upstate NY. you need a break man. why not come to key west for the weekend sometime? i will show you some good spots

Reactions: spaghetti
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT