• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best Hunter floats??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

I have smaller, foam filled torpedo, floats that I used to use,

Jon[/quote]

you want to trade one of those? i got LOTS of extra gear. sounds like you do too. i also need,(want) alot more. trading is easier to justify to my accountants. LOL

We were freediving in wetsuits. I got bored with the scuba thing a few years ago and sold off all of my drysuits and other tech gear.

It's a Rob Allen float with flag stand built in. Only drawback is that it has my name written all over it- so Whopperhead doesn't take it home in his car by accident.rofl

Cool - do you live near the lake you dive? I notice our local waterways are looking surprisingly clear since the hard frosts a few weeks ago. When you say anchors do you mean boat anchors? Always interesting to see new float ideas. Didn't know Best Hunter is Italian. They have some interesting & good value weight vests too. Kind of hard to find, would be nice to see it around more.

Somebody posted a picture some time ago of a float they used made out of two torpedo floats lashed together somehow. One of the British spearos described using a torpedo float lashed on top of a boogie board, presumably for the flag.

I like the idea of carrying a second spear gun on the float but would rather have it on top of the float, or better yet, protected by the float in a groove on top, out of the way. So a large grooved, inflatable torpedo float, with some storage for a crab bag & stringer (when not in use) & maybe for a waterbottle, compass, cellphone in aquapack, keys would be my ideal float. Not much to ask:D

Last edited:
There a few lakes close to my house and many more further north that are better to dive in. winter time always brings the best vis around here.

I like having my guns hanging off the bottom so the local anglers don't go crazy when they boat up to you. I can strap all of those things that you mentioned to my float- and still lash a couple of 20 pound boat anchors to the bottom of it while diving.

Another guy I dive with (Wreckrunner) made his own float out of two boat fenders and a lot of PVC pipe. It ain't pretty, but you can see it from a long ways away.

Jon,

Did you have to pay duty to get that into the country, because it's not N. American made? If so, how much did that come to?

I didn't have to pay any duty or VAT- just the high shipping rate to get it here fast.

Wow, what a pile of horsesh*t...I thought NAFTA imposed duty restrictions on stuff like this...Maybe U.S. isn't enforcing something they should? :) Or maybe Canada is too 'by the book'?

Right from ScubaStore's website:
http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/ayuda#Transporte

And here you have the duties you might pay for deliveries at different countries:
Canadá: 30%
USA: Free

Looks like I'm in the market for a 'body board' so I can DIY :-(

NAFTA got rid of all that stuff- which is why are jobs are all leaving like Ross Perot said they would.

I know that when I look on the Subprof site and check out their prices they seem high until I type in USA has my hoe country and then they knock the VAT off and prices drop by a surprising amount.

My first choice in buying gear is always Jimdoe2you, but he can't carry everything so I end up ordering overseas and paying through the nose for shipping.

Jon

This is proving to be very futile, even to make a DIY from a bodyboard...

Try phoning around in the middle of PRAIRIE Saskatchewan and asking if stores even have that...One even told me to "just buy it when you get to where you are vacationing!"...

Reactions: Mr. X
We were freediving in wetsuits. I got bored with the scuba thing a few years ago and sold off all of my drysuits and other tech gear.

It's a Rob Allen float with flag stand built in. Only drawback is that it has my name written all over it- so Whopperhead doesn't take it home in his car by accident.rofl

perfect for what i am doing. wanna sell it or trade for something? that float is like 100$ new,(if i am not mistaken) i got a pair of omer millenium,(black, stiff) blades,( foot pockets gave out) i got a bunch of knives a couple are brand new riffe knives, still in boxes. a like new cressi matrix mask,green camo rashguard pants, anything sound good?i got more, that is just off the top of my head.

Give me a day to post a picture and see what you think.

Rash guards are no good up here in the cold, but masks and knives are always useful.:)

Reactions: spaghetti
Wow, what a pile of horsesh*t...I thought NAFTA imposed duty restrictions on stuff like this...Maybe U.S. isn't enforcing something they should? :) Or maybe Canada is too 'by the book'?
...And here you have the duties you might pay for deliveries at different countries:
Canadá: 30%
USA: Free
It's always good to remember that the USA was founded on not paying taxes (e.g. Boston Tea Party). It's a philosophy that seems to have worked remarkably well in generating prosperity. (Although a few things seem to have gotten way off course in recent years, with Enron, Tyco, MCI/Worldcom, Lehman Brothers, Pondsey schemes, etc.).

Canada on the other hand seems a lot more like Britain. Higher taxes & costs, lower pay. VAT/GMT, the bain of our lives. Lots of petty rules, regulations & fees. Although last time I was there it seemed more American than ever but I could still get a decent cup of tea in cafe and bangers & mash/toad in the hole/steak & kidney pie in a restaurant more easily than I could in the UK -- and proper golden Weetabix in a paper wrapper:).

NAFTA got rid of all that stuff- which is why are jobs are all leaving like Ross Perot said they would...
I loved listening to Ross, what a character. He seemed to be the only person who understood the financial aspects of govt. Did Bill Clinton adopt any of his policies (e.g. stopping the funding of long term govt. debt with expensive short term instruments)? Can't help thinking China & India are sucking away more jobs than Mexico & Canada though, at least they buy American products.

BTW I see the USA managed to block the import of Mexican avocados after NAFTA. I seem to recall talk about blocking "dumping" of Canadian timber at one point too.:D

back on the subject abit.. about the floats I mean.
I have used an omer atoll quite a bit and a few weeks ago it really impressed me in pretty good swells and wind down in mexico.. one time I saw it tip over and right itself.. but every other time I checked it the flag was flying high. I wish the pockets were a bit larger and the elastic straps on top had better buckles that wouldn't loosen. The velcro straps on the bottom are super strong.. A short piece of 5/16 inch chain run underneath from front to back completed the package and adds the necessary ballast. the atoll packs down to practically nothing. best float I've ever had.
Fred

Last edited:
I looked at that float too Fred,but decided I wanted something bigger- so I went with the Best Hunter.

My last big float was an OMER America and it last about 3 years before it fell apart. I see they don't sell it anymore so others must have had the same problem that I did. Ted has a Riffe torpedo float that looks a lot like my old America float- but a lot beefier.

Jon

i know Best hunter/best diver used to have a website but i cant find it... does anybody have the web address???

really want to get one of these for up here in North Queensland perfect for getting the fish out of the water and away from the hungry sharks in my waters (everywhere the crazy little and sometimes big buggers)

DD

My first choice in buying gear is always Jimdoe2you, but he can't carry everything so I end up ordering overseas and paying through the nose for shipping.
Jon

Wow, those are great prices...A diving buddy and me have also been thinking about trying other spearguns out...There are some there that are well within our price-range.

Has anyone tried the "Omer Technofloat"? It is apparently a discontinued product, but jimdoe2you does list one on his website, so I assume it is still available from him. Has anyone got a photo of one in use? Hard to see exactly what it looks like with the crumby side-on view.

I still can't figure out why the Shardana is priced so high. All it looks like to me is a kickboard with a bag on top.

The Technofloat looks pretty nice, I know someone around here has one, but they aren't made anymore. I thought that Jim was out of them as well. I was looking at that one when I decided to get the hunter float instead. I've used the Atoll and think the Hunter float is a beefier float overall. The bladders come out of the inside and deflate for compact storage. They aren't that sturdy and remind me of pool toys, but it's the outer covering that keep it safe.

The bladders come out of the inside and deflate for compact storage. They aren't that sturdy and remind me of pool toys, but it's the outer covering that keep it safe.

Great to hear, I may just go with one of the Atolls then...

I am a huge Snow goose hunter as well, so I've had to learn how to sew a windsock or two (or few hundred) in my day so sewing on more pockets is something I could easily handle. It doesn't look like there's enough pockets as it is so I would definitely want to modify to my liking.

If the air bladders are removable, you could easily replace them too then if they should happen to bust.

SWEET!!!...Looks like my problems of a decent float could be solved...I suppose only time will tell regarding its durability. For the price involved, it's worth the risk though.

I think that you could take the bladder out the Atoll and put a foam kick board inside it instead.

The hunter float is about twice the size of the atoll float and could support more weight- as in more lost anchor finds.

The Sharadana isn't just a boogie board, but a roto-molded plastic shell with lots of different grooves and fins molded into it. It's also very heavy and doesn't deflate- which is why I didn't end up getting one.

The technofloat is somewhere inbetween the atoll and the Hunter in size. Hunter does make three different sizes of floats. Mine is the middle one. Their large float looks something like a mini boat with lots of room and a clear window to check out the bottom.

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT