• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best mask

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Report on the Alien, went out last night on the first reef off the beach and dove for about an hour, vis was about 10', as expected with all the storms, and about a 2' wind chop, max depth only 30’. The nose does push up due to the angle but is not bad and after an hour was not uncomfortable. It is extremely soft and the first few dives I did I found myself blowing air out of the mask when equalizing due to its low volume, my old mask was a bit larger. The only draw back, and its minor, is that the center lens post is a bit wide and I my eyes have a tendency to "see" it, but I think it is something I will get accustom to. I would give it an overall rating of about a “B”. Now we have another tropical wave heading this way for the weekend so it looks like another wash out! If anyone has any specific questions, ask away. BTW, I have a narrow face and have nose to spare.

I agree - B. I sent mine back because it was not better in enough ways compaired to the matrix.

It's a very good mask though, and has superior vis compared to the abyss and other masks of that genre. Just not quite there yet for me.

Hi!

I have the Omer Abyss Exclusive and I'me very pleased with it!

great mask for freediving and spearfishing!

strap selection

What about the straps you guys use on these masks (minima, matrix, etc)? I am so spoiled by use of "slap straps" on my scuba masks, that I really can't imagine going back to the silicone ones that grab and pull my hair. Maybe there's a whole thread on this somewhere...if so, I missed it. Anyway, I was wondering if the neoprene compression, etc., that is inevitable in slap straps when you descend, would make them less suitable for freediving than they are for scuba. I have had no problems with my mask becoming too loose when scuba diving with a variety of low-volume masks. But before I buy another one to put on a matrix or minima, I wanted to know what y'all thought about it.
Thanks!

I've just been using the strap that came with the matrix - but I do relate to the hair problem. I keep the strap pretty loose but my mask is also mostly a little negative while diving.

Cressi Lince mask?

What do think about Cressi Lince mask? Apparently it’s a smaller, lower volume version of the Matrix. Cressi says it even has a lower volume than the Superocchio, which is one of my favorite masks! I’m going to try it. I need a new mask to have prescription lenses attached. Don’t want to pay the price to have them put in an old mask that doesn’t have much life left.

Its also a litte cheaper than the Matrix. Here is what Cressi says about.
The Lince is the first mask in the world with a very small internal volume, even smaller than the legendary Cressi Superocchio (a specific mask for deep-sea scuba diving), while having all the exceptional features of the Matrix, in terms of visibility.

Basically, the Lince can be considered a “younger sister” of the Matrix, which it copies the main features from, also very suitable for deep-sea diving.

Technical features

Type: two lens mask
Versions: clear silicone, black silicone
Materials: liquid silicone, hi-tech polymers, elastomers
Strap buckles: pressure, with instant adjustment
Internal volume: very low
Dimensions of frame: 158 x 105.5 mm
Weight: 165 g
Graduated lenses: not available

I tried to post a picture, but apparently there was a problem. You can see then on the db store or Cressi site.
don

I heard this one was for people with very small faces. Be interested to hear how it works out.

Fondue I used the Lince for 6 years and still occasionally do. My face is large and wide (too wide for the samurai, or superocchio) and Lince fit ok. It also has a low cut on the lip seal which was one of the factors that I originally opted the Lince for as I was sporting a moustache at the time:D

Performancewise good all around vision although a bit restricted for upper vertical axis. What i liked about the Lince was the minimal amount air needed to compensate the mask and that the plastics on the nose ridge did not hurt my nose at depth. Also relatively easy adjusting of mask band in the water with one hand. What I did not like was the quality of the lens as they would perpetually fog up slightly (tried everything) but enough to be annoying. Just for the story the best lens IMO are in Mares masks.

Hi -- I ended up buying an Omer Alien mask too...love it thus far...very flexible, super-soft silicone skirt, and very cool how they connected the strap attachment points (buckles) to the skirt material rather than to the frame. When I heard that was the mask's design, I was concerned about durability, but once I saw it "in the flesh" I became a believer. It's super comfortable, super-low-volume, and I don't experience any of the problems mentioned by others re the nose pocket being angled up too steeply for my nose to fit properly. And my schnoz is not dinky either! Anyway, no leaks, no pains, no problems. Happy customer thus far. Thanks to all on DB for their advice on masks across multiple threads.

Last edited:
I received the Lince and am very impressed with it, except for one fault. That is the lenses angle downward so scuba people can read their gauges. Why don’t these dive manufactures realize that freedivers need a mask to look ahead, not downward?

Other than that one fault, it’s a beautiful mask. Fits my face better than any mask I have tried. I’m able to pressurize it a lot, which enables me to start my dives hand free. I really like the strap too. It's designed well and stays put.
don

Reactions: Mr. X
I did some more work on this issue - now that I'm getting lenses put in. First I ordered a black matrix - just to see any diff in the seal - no. Cressi uses fairly thick silicone around the edges - this is why the mask seems to leak a bit - at the forhead, temples or under the cheeks depending on how you are wearing it. Last summer diving this was occasionally irritating - just in terms of feeling I had to adjust it to get the right fit. I did a rough measurement of the internal volume and I think it is around 130-135cc with no compression at all. Comfort range then I'd say around 100 or a bit less. The stiffness of the silicone and general design of the mask does make it start pulling on your eyeballs a bit at as little as 3 or 4 meters depth. At 7 meters you pretty much have to do something about it. Another problematic area is right under the nose - here the stiff silicone tends to push in right below the nose. I've yet to do more than about an hour in this mask - but this could get a bit uncomfortable after awhile.
The visual field of the Matrix is without equal in my experience. you can see out of the corners of your eyes to an extent - downward visibility is only blocked by your cheeks and up - as I mentioned is very good. For spearfishing it would greatly reduce how often you need to turn your head compared with many masks. Trade-off is a bit of stiffness in the frame - the bottom of the lenses are so low that there is very little silicone in the area at the bottom of the cheeks. Slight facial changes can cause leaks here. pressing it on and closing off my nose best I can get is about a minute and a half or so. On me fit for this mask is much better than the bigeyes - in fact pretty much everything is better than the bigeyes. Only real complaint is that sense of it not being on quite right at times - and possibly under-nose discomfort on long dives. :confused:

I got thinking about this because I realized I was not only investing in lenses, but with my Elios suit I'll be in the water MUCH LONGER :thankyou So I've reordered the Alien for a second look. It's a tough call because the matrix is such a perfect mask visually - with quite reasonable volume.

Last edited:
I really enjoy the Omer Alien mask with the Mirrored lenses, amber on the inside, and reflective blue outside, and very comfortable. With em on I dont notice the tinting, as the yellow lense improves contrast even in overcast waters.

I am currently looking to get my wife a pair with perscription lenses LINK:> (http://www.subprof.com/tienda/product_info.php?cPath=200&products_id=8169) so she doesnt have to wear contacts, but is there a maintenance sheet of proper lens removal and reinstallation, or is it a simple pry job with a butter knife, and a snap on lens cover?

I just dont want to damage a new pair of goggles.

Reactions: Mr. X
I have the omer alien, great mask, as well as the technisub falcon, also great (poly lense) can where it all day and not feel it:t

Wow, this thread is three years old! I am now using a technisub Marina (aka 'Micromask') and it rules. Better nasal accommodation than the alien - better view down and side and lower volume. Only drawback is stiff silicon and some serious lines after a few hours. Very comfortable though.

Wow, this thread is three years old! I am now using a technisub Marina (aka 'Micromask') and it rules. Better nasal accommodation than the alien - better view down and side and lower volume. Only drawback is stiff silicon and some serious lines after a few hours. Very comfortable though.

What kind of lenses Micromask has? Glass or plastic?

Glass - it is listed on the technisub site as 'Marina' but has been re-issued as the 'Micromask'

I think that the bandit has the lowest volume on Omer masks, only about 90^3, even better than the alien...

I'm wondering if there's a mask that comes close to Sphera in terms of peripheral vision, but is more suited for a bit narrower faces. Matrix?

I wouldn't say the Matrix is suited to narrow faces. More likely the Lince if you are looking at Cressis. The Omer Alien is not bad peripherally and has a very soft and adaptable seal. Not much comes close to the sphera for peripheral vision though. My Matrix is really good - but it is in part because the prescription lenses bonded to it bring the lens closer to my eyes. The Technisub Marina/micromask is as good as the Matrix but is also a temperament fit - and hard to find in the states.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT