• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

"Best" mono-fin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

hydro

Aug 10, 2001
Friends,
I dolphin kick my carbon bi-fins for constant ballast but I think the time has come to go all the way and switch to mono. I understand there are many mono swimmers around so I would appreciate if you could share experiences of specific make and model monofins. Dynamic is not my cup of tea so I would be more interested in suggestions for constant ballast monofins.
Thanks in advance

Hydro

Hi
For the first time just pick WaterWay Model2 MD. For competitions M1 LD is more preferrable.

all the best

Just so you don't think Peter is the only guy who likes his fins, I'll back him up: I have bought products from Peter; he is fair, the prices are excellent, the products are very good. I have a FINIS monofin that has the Waterway blade, but I wish I had the Waterway footpockets....everyone says they are very comfortable.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Peter,
did you mean to say Model 2 LD, instead of MD? i used to use a Model 2 MD for constant weight over a year ago. eventually i realised that it was simply too stiff for deep diving. the long distance fins are far more suitable for freediving - that's my experience anyway.

alun

Hi
It depends on your purposes.
If you don't have experience with monos and you need training then take MD, if your legs are strong enogh and you need the mono only for freediving take LD. With LD you've training of your techique and lungs but progress increasing of power is not big. If you're trainng in breathholding especially then MD is worse - it may take extra-efforts, but it depends on your lungs' volume and specific of our body.

For competitions we strongly advise M1 LD. Some exeptions are exist - if are taller then 180 cm and have very strong legs, if your body is longer then of other people and your weight is about 200 pounds and more. Then MD can be OK.
M2 LD for competitions is possible if you're 170 cm and less and about 150 pounds and less.

Till 30-40 m no big difference between M1 and M2 - other things are cruicial like lungs and technique.

Traditional way - diver (and surf-racer) has 2 Monos - M2 MD for training amd M1 LD for competitions.

You can pick the M2 LD for non-competition diving for yourself, for training in breathholding and if you're not a big guy. Then it'll be perfect for you in any sence. In this case you need some extra-exercising for legs.

If you're spearfishing and skindiving with mono, then select MD.

For the freedivers 80% sales are M1 LD but 50/50 MD and LD for Model 2.

For new people in monos we recommend MD in most of the cases for now put it's not a strict rule at all.

All the best,

I have to agree- Waterway is a great company and Peter is very helpful. Peter, do you guys have any videos or books yet?
Jim

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT