• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

best shore dive float

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

CybordDroid

Aug 18, 2016
What do you guys think is the best for shore diving: banks board, creek kooler, or hydro caddy? I have no experience with any of these so this is just my uninformed opinion based on looking at internet info. Currenty leaning towards buying the Creek Kooler since I live in FL and the cooler part could make a big difference in keeping the catch fresh. I can carry my gun and most gear so the banks board doesn't seem necessary, except for maybe carrying a lobster snare or something but might be able to rig something up to the creek cooler via railblaza.

Here is the info I have so far:

Creek Kooler ($115-165)

Amazon product

Pros: gnarly insulation to keep fish on ice and ensure the thing floats. Integrated flag pole mount (might not work)
Cons: lid is said to be hard to close. nowhere to store gear except adding railblaza attachments, might be weird with the thick hull. Haven't heard of anyone using it for spearfishing but people keep making cooler frankenstein contraptions so maybe it doesn't matter.

510s23FdmOL.jpg

51cUsHWdItL.jpg

Hydro Caddy ($200)
Amazon product

Video of it used for spearfishing:

Pro's: lots of space, nice lid, easy to add railblaza attachments.
Cons: no insulation, nowhere to place a speargun or other gear (unless maybe adding the railblaza attachments)

91xLpWqRvnL._SL1500_.jpg

Banks board ($315)

http://banksboard.com/index.html

Pros: Made for spearfishing and can carry all your extra gear, has space for 2 spearguns, mesh bags to keep gear separate from catch. Integrated dive flag. Shoulder straps to carry as backpack. Can use it to surf back in?
cons: catch is baking in the sun.

1070002-576945922343831-1384031790-n_orig.jpg

Bizarrely, I've just been doing the exact same search and these where the exact three options that I've come across - shame I'm in the UK so shipping would be a ridiculous and probably make them too expensive to be a realistic option.

If I had to pick one of the three, I think I'd go for the Kayak Kaddy - once you've got the attachments on, I think it looks like a great design. One of the main things I want is to be able to keep my fish out of the water & cool at the same time - the banks board just doesn't cut it in that respect.The Kaddy does look pretty massive but I bet it tows well.

I think fitting attachments to the Creek Kooler would be a nightmare - I'd just chuck a few bottles of frozen water in the Kayak Kaddy to keep things cool.

I think my only option is to look for a Sevylor Divehunter - they don't make them any more but I might find one somewhere. It won't keep my fish out of the water but at least I can stick them on top while swimming from spot to spot - too much drag otherwise.

I ended up getting the creek cooler. Very easy to tow for beach dives, my dive flag fit right into the existing flag pole hole after sanding it down (pole was a bit to thick), and railblaza attachments are easy to install in the cupholders.

Attachments

• IMG_20180721_144911~2.jpg
    IMG_20180721_144911~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 625
Reactions: Broseidon
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT