• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best underwater filming frame rates

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sleepless619

Dec 16, 2012
I'll be going on my first freediving trip in two weeks and I will be bringing my gopro hero3 black edition with me. I know that there is a thread about the hero3, but my inquiry is more about general frame rates. I read somewhere else that underwater, the faster the frame rate the better. So, this camera is capable of 2.7k at 30p, 1440 at 48p, 1080 at 60p and 720 at 120p. Many people were saying that if they could film 720 at 120p, they would, but I'm concerned about the low light capabilities of a high frame rate and this was before a high frame rate was conceivable above 720 with a small sports cam. I won't have much time in the water, which is why I'm hoping to get it right from the get go.

hoping to have a video up soon and u can see some of it all the setting are real good i shot at 240fps yesterday in dark lava tube swim thrus and was fine my intention is to slowmo that stuff the highframerate is very smooth. the main issue with the black is keeping it steady as its that much smaller and shooting at all these crazy 4k hd and stuff is very hard on computers that were intended for 1080hd the go pro black is a much more complicated camera with professional setting if u can get it in a pool and get it all dialed in it will help u don't wanna shoot stuff your whole trip and have unusable stuff cause it wasn't on an ideal setting. i had a few days wasted on bad settings luckily i live in hawaii and get to shoot anytime i want so wasn't that big a deal. also get the moisture inserts if your going anywhere tropical they fog if the tiniest bit of moisture. if u not used it yet the battery lasts about half as long as the original go pros not sure if its due to the smaller size or the fact that its handling that much more data. also some data storage cause you could shoot hundreds of gigs on a week vacation easy on some of those setting

Mahalo! I'll be in Puerto Rico, so I'm assuming I would've been screwed without the anti-fog inserts.

After looking at some videos on youtube and contacting the uploaders, I found some very decent footage with 1080 at 60p, so that's probably what I'll use. I'm surprised to hear about the 480 at 240p doing so well.

I look forward to checking out the footage that you post!

1080 @60 is very nice
Mahalo! I'll be in Puerto Rico, so I'm assuming I would've been screwed without the anti-fog inserts.

After looking at some videos on youtube and contacting the uploaders, I found some very decent footage with 1080 at 60p, so that's probably what I'll use. I'm surprised to hear about the 480 at 240p doing so well.

I look forward to checking out the footage that you post!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT