• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best US Shore Dive/Spearing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

TimHouTX

Aug 14, 2019
Hello, everyone.

We'll be tying the knot in a couple months and look forward to a laid back dive/spearing vacation in the continental US around the beginning of May. I realize it may not be entirely possible but we envision a bungalow or small AirBNB near the water where we could roll out of bed for a quick shore dive for lunch. Anybody have any ideas of something close? Scuba and any other non diving recommendations are also welcome. Things we're considering:

- decent accommodations (doesn't have to be fancy but would enjoy a shower)
- quality of shore diving/spearing with decent chance at fish (no boat but rental not out of the question)
- spearing regulations and fishing seasons
- nightlife and local attractions

My immediate thoughts are Keys (saw CDavis recommend Bahia Honda in previous thread) and SoCal but will need help narrowing it down from there. We're located in coastal TX so South Padre Island would be an easy trip to the clear, blue water. Anywhere else we should consider?

I figured this the best place to ask. Thanks in advance!

Tim

I used to work with a guy in WA state who used to go with a small group of scuba divers to Mexico. They rented a villa/bungalow? and paid a local woman to cook for them when they were out diving.

I realise Mexico is not USA but it's a close neighbour.

Hello, everyone.

We'll be tying the knot in a couple months and look forward to a laid back dive/spearing vacation in the continental US around the beginning of May. I realize it may not be entirely possible but we envision a bungalow or small AirBNB near the water where we could roll out of bed for a quick shore dive for lunch. Anybody have any ideas of something close? Scuba and any other non diving recommendations are also welcome. Things we're considering:

- quality of shore diving/spearing with decent chance at fish (no boat but rental not out of the question)

My immediate thoughts are Keys (saw CDavis recommend Bahia Honda in previous thread) and SoCal but will need help narrowing it down from there. We're located in coastal TX so South Padre Island would be an easy trip to the clear, blue water. Anywhere else we should consider?

Tim
Just curious have you been spear fishing in S Texas in the Gulf? If not that’s a completely different and amazing experience. Fish are big!

I can tell you about North East states: RI, NH, NY, NJ, DE,MA, CT: sometimes water is murky, sometimes it is very murky. They all adopted a universal salt water fishing regs that DO NOT DISTINGUISH between spearing and line and hook fishing. Moreover, the most prized fish - striped bass - is restricted to one per day and limited in size. The sheer idiocy of it is that striped bass has to be from 28 inches to less than 38 inches. So if you a regular fisherman and you caught an illegal fish you just release it and it will live. If you are a spearo and you shot an illegal fish - you can not get out of the water with it - you have to dump it and it can die! The clearest water in that part of the US is in RI - Beavertail Park is a popular spot. But I live very far (4 hour drive) and those new regs made it worthless for me to go there.

I used to work with a guy in WA state who used to go with a small group of scuba divers to Mexico. They rented a villa/bungalow? and paid a local woman to cook for them when they were out diving.

I realise Mexico is not USA but it's a close neighbour.
Mr X, thanks for the reply. Citizenship status of my fiancé limits us to US for now or else we’d be somewhere around Playas Mujeres or Costa Rica. Thanks for the response, though. Always look forward to your insight in every thread.

Just curious have you been spear fishing in S Texas in the Gulf? If not that’s a completely different and amazing experience. Fish are big!
Yes sir. From Corpus Christi and grew up rig diving. South padre is a short jaunt down the coast but not very “honeymoon-ish”. Captain George brown with Texas Bluewater Rehab is an awesome Carter down there for anyone interested.

A little update to the thread…. Seems shore diving in the keys is limited. Focusing our research on Lauderdale-by-the-sea, Hollywood, and west palm areas. Tons of shore dives (we’re in good enough shape to swim a bit from shore), tons of accommodations, and plenty to do outside the water. We could even make a trip to Key Largo one day to the state park.

Thoughts?

Yes sir. From Corpus Christi and grew up rig diving. South padre is a short jaunt down the coast but not very “honeymoon-ish”. Captain George brown with Texas Bluewater Rehab is an awesome Carter down there for anyone interested.
Charter*

Hello, everyone.

Tim
For a tranquil getaway with accessible diving, consider the Florida Keys, especially Bahia Honda as suggested by CDavis. Southern California could also be a great choice. Since you're in coastal TX, South Padre Island offers convenience for clear waters. Look into accommodations near the shore for that laid-back vibe. Research local spearing regulations and fishing seasons to make the most of your trip. Don't forget to explore nightlife and attractions to round out your vacation.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT