• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best way to don a freediver suit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

wigma

Jan 5, 2002
When I purchased my Picasso suit, Roger had mentioned rolling back the wrist and ankle seals for donning the suit. Aside from using "suit lube", are there any special tricks that make suit donning easier and less stressful on the suit?

Any input appreciated; given the cost of these suits, I don't want to tear mine prematurely. I can't remember which suit manufacturer had the series of photos showing how to most easily don the suit; if anyone knows, please post the URL.

Thanks,

Mark

Get Wet

Hi Mark,

Not sure if you have an open cell on the inside or not. I've got one of the gold lined slick skin suits that I have teared too many times when taking it off.

My method of putting the top on is to put it in the water, put bit of water on my arms, then it just slips on. Taking it off - stand in the water, I open the wrist seals to let water in, same down the neck, again slips off easily after that.

If its like super cold where you are then I guess better go the wetsuit snot - (conditioner + water).

P.S. You will love the picasso suit, I don't think I could freedive using anything else.

Wal

Walrus,

Thanks for the info. I must say that it is rare that a product garners as much universal praise as the Picasso wetsuits. After wearing a cheap, zippered suit that passed water through the neck with amazing consistency, I look forward to the Picasso.

Sounds like I am heading for a potential religious experience when I use the suit.

Safe diving,

Mark

we cheat

Hi,

We have been using heated lube in the 5C range, but then we also bring coolers of hot water as well. A standard cooler will hold 5 2litre pop bottles. 5 bottles will stay hot when loaded with hot tap water for a couple of hours. Also 5 bottles is plenty of water to warm up with. By then I'm usually warm enough to boldly peep off my suit.

wimpy, but warm,

Fd48

I have a Picasso 3mm (2piece), I find myself getting in and out about three times a week.

I found two tricks, 1) mix dish soap in a big bottle of hot water, pour water into suit, swish around and then slide right in. 2) I stand under a hot water shower, I have a hot water shower on my dock. Even thoguh I am wet going out to the dive site I find that I am never cold.

Tom

Snot vs milk

I love my closed-cell- inside Picasso 5mm Apnos suit. I can don it faster than others don their nylon-lined suits by using a conditioner/water mix, but I use a fairly dilute solution. If it as cloudy as skim milk, it is much too concentrated. When you use too much conditioner, the suit never clings to your skin and so the stretchiness of the neoprene tends to slide the trousers off your legs and decreases warmth.

You only need about two tablespoons of conditioner in a 16 oz bottle (disposable mineral water bottles work fine), for two donnings.

If you mix it correctly, the suit will stay in place after just a minute in the water. To remove the suit, I gently peel it off inside-out. I don't know if that is the recommended way of removing it, but I've not torn mine in 20 - 30 uses, and when it's off, it's ready to rinse and hang to dry, inside out for a few hours, then turn it right-side out to dry the nylon.

But, if I could just convince the State Parks in Florida to install hot showers around the springs, life would be even better!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT