• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Better dynamic in smaller pool ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Luchtbus

Jul 31, 2003
Yesterday I improved my dynamic pb from 50 m to 56 meters. But the thing is, I did it in an 8 meter long pool :) , so its 7 lengths to get to 56 meters.

I usually do dynamics in a 25 meter pool, so that means only 2 lengths required to get to my previous pb.

The obvious difference is that I had to turn around a lot more in the 8 meter pool and now I wonder if this is more or less efficient than just swimming in a straight line and only turning once. I guess it also depends on your technique : if you have a great swinmming technique, but you suck at turning it's probably better to do dynamics in a bigger pool.

A few days ago, I did a dynamic in a 50 m pool, it took ages to get to the other side :duh . 50 m in one go definitely *feels* further than 2x 25m. But the 8 meter pool is ofcourse a more extreme situation, so differences are easier to detect.

In my case, it seems as if a smaller pool is better for me, but I can't make a conclusion one just one go (besides, there were a lot of people watching so I pushed myself further, so I'd like to think that even in a 25 meter pool I would have improved my pb)

How do you feel the length of the pool influences your dynamic ? Do you feel that turning around and pushing off the side is more efficient than doing a few strokes, or not ? I'm curious ...

Depends on the equipment

Without fins the short pool is good. The turn is easy and quick to do, and I'll benefit from the kick. In 8m pool, it is possible to do just the kicks, no strokes at all.

With longfins or mono, the turning takes time and the benefits from the kick (from the wall) are small or zero.

/teppo

You're right about the fins, I did the above no-fins. Unfortunately I still have to make at least one stroke, not as good at streamlining as you are :(

8m is much too short. 56m unassited in a 25m pool is definitly harder to do.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT