• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Beuchat Rascasse 350

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jmichaels

Sep 27, 2007
Hi There.... I'm new around here and amlooking fora very entry level gun. I like to fish and love to dive so I figured the next best thiong should be spearfishing.

Anyhow, I am looking to get started with some cheap but safe (and decent) gear. Can anyone tell me about the Beuchat Rascasse? Also I think I found a good sale on them, I would guess $40 is a good price.

Beuchat Rascasse 350 Band Speargun: Scuba Gear and Diving Equipment

thoughts ?

Hi JM,
my 2cents worth - I have a beuchat speargun - the Mundial comp. - my impression is that beuchat make a very good speargun.
I have only been spearing for 6weeks now, so am a complete newbie like you. However, I can tell you a couple of things from the mistakes that I have made:
1. I downgraded from 18mm to 16mm bands - made life sooo much easier, however, I am now feeling ready to put the 18mm bands back on as the range is just too limited. I suspect that with the 13mm bands on the Rascasse, you might as well sneeze at the fish as shoot at them.
2. The 350 that you pointed in the link is quite short, but I did see that there are more longer guns of that model at the same store. my 750 works well for my general newbie needs.
I'm well pleased with my Beuchat - they make a good gun.
I'll let the more experienced guys set you & me straight now.

Hey... thats good stuff, especially from a newbie like me. I can relate to what you have done so far. Thanks. I'll look int the band thing as well. maybe get the smaller ones when I buy it and then change em back later on. Just so I can get used to pulling that thing under water.

hi j micheals,
i to use a beuchat gun (marlin carbon 85cm), they do make good guns but what i would say is dont follow my mistakes of buying a small useless gun there only good if you got a fish right in your face, instead invest your money into a more well rounded gun look at the mundail from beuchat or dave at spearos guns or omer do nice guns as well,
but trust me if you get the cheap you'lled wish you used the money to go towards something better and longer.
good luck and welcome to deeper blue.
Ben

Would this make a good gun for reef hunting? that makes up a lot of what I see here in South Florida.

Buy something beetwen 60 and 90cm, no matter what brand, that is a different story.
Choosing the smaller one you have a good gun shoot to fish inside holes and nearby passing fish.

Choosing the bigger one its easier tho shoot passing fish but more dificult to manouver and to use inside holes.

As for the rubber, choose them accordingly.
Short range, go for hard rubers (cressi S45)
Long range, go for softer or progressive rubbers (riffe)

Usually you dont need to replace rubers when you buy a gun since those are okay to start with, when time comes to replace thme them you can choose wich ones suit you.

I advise you to buy a 75cm model since these can be used almost anywear.

As for brands thats more of a personal choice or local availability, personaly i prefer Marc Valentin, but also use Cressi (comanche) and Beuchat (mundial Competicion).
Also Omer Picasso etc... they are all good brands.

One word about the bling factor of carbon, it looks nice and although they are lighter tham aluminium in the water it dosen't makes that much diference. Also time and prolonged exposure to sun are not their best friends.

Some good and useful points there catman, but just to go back to the question about the Rascasse, it has only 13mm bands which from my limited experience is not enough, and I wonder whether most budding spearos would be wanting more power than a 13mm band can give, hence the comments about 16/18mm bands. What do you think?

Opps sorry about that. The 13mm bands are ok for the smaller 35cm since the shaft is only 6mm it not that heavy. As for the other ones they seem to be a bit to conservative a 16mm band would be moore apropriate.
As for the bands thenselves their are hard, wich is a good thing for close range and hole fishing, but will lack some precision at the end oh the line.
But remenber one thing this gun was designed for beginners or backup hence the 13mm wich are easier to load.

As for the spear itself, its not stainless stell and with only 6mm diameter it's tip well reg ruined very fast if hiting rocks.

Whilw speaking of this brand the akra competicion shouldn't be much more expensive tham the rascasse, and it would make a perfect first gun. stainless stell spear 16mm bands.

that would be yes, and by the look of it you can also add a extra band if needs be to gain more power,

Probably a little late... but i had that gun and i can tell u something... tough little bastard... it held up to 10 years of abuse of 2 generation ... good hole gun... the handle after being left for too long in the sun melted and got out of shape but it still worked nicely ... and even i used the handle on a 75 cm gun and it held up without any problem

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT