• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Beware of the Coral Reef Alliance!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Russ

Nov 13, 2000
They have no privacy policy that I can find on their web site. If there is one, and it is truthful, it will say “We will not respect your privacy in any way and we will gladly sell or rent your information to life insurance companies and Columbia House Record Club.

How do I know this? We tag all e-mail addresses we use to log onto web sites and we are now getting junk e-mail from companies addresses to the Coral Reef Alliance tag.

I sent them several e-mails asking them what was going on and they have not even bothered to answer me.

The fact that they seem to lack ethics on their web site leads me to wonder how ethical the rest of their operation is.

Please feel free to pass this warning on to other sea loving people.

Russ

Dear Russ,

Actually, CORAL has a very strong policy about not sharing (selling, renting, or giving away for free) email addresses of our members or those who have signed up for our free monthly e-newsletter, e-current. We have never shared email addresses - ever.

You can read this in our privacy policy on our website at www.coral.org.

We make a concerted effort to respond to all inquiries of any kind, whether they are information requests, inquiries from members or, our favorite, messages of thanks and congratulations from our many satisfied members and those whom we help around the world. We feel that every contact we make is an opportunity to help protect the world's coral reefs.

I would be happy to answer your questions directly.

Sincerely,

Janine Kraus
Managing Director
jkraus@coral.org

Last edited by a moderator:
Russ,

As you can see, Janine from CORAL has responded.

You say that you could not find a privacy statement on their website, yet I clicked onto http://www.coral.org and there at the bottom of the page was the link to the Privacy Policy at http://www.coralreefalliance.org/legal/privacy/

I have checked the privacy policy and it is in line with general rules concerning privacy.

I too am a member of the CORAL email lists and utilise the same sort of tracking on emails, however I have never received any unsolicited emails from other companies to the CORAL subscription address.

If you want to provide me with more information privately, i'd be willing to look into it.

Janine & Stephen,

Please note my original warning was posted on 26 August 2001. At that time I spoke to someone (a guy) at Coral Reef Alliance and asked him to tell me how to find their privacy policy. I was told at that time one did not exist.

I forwarded several e-mails to him with my Coral Reef Alliance tag. His only explanation was that perhaps someone who maintained their e-mail list had violated policy and sold or rented the list.

I find it interesting that the spam stopped shortly after that.

Your replies are both dated 5 March 2002 I hope it is because they now have their act together.

I wish them well. While I have not personally seen results from their work, on paper they seem to be trying to save the sea we all love.

Russ
:hmm

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT