• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Big Blue revisited

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
Watched Big Blue yesterday (thanks Adrian)...

uh! that woman's laugh is enough to put you off your food! and that says something for me!

You have to admit tho' that there are some classic scenes and I believe those scenes to be responsible for most of us going back from time to time and 'reviewing' the movie.
Are there any other movies that come close to capturing the 'spirit' of an oceanic lifestyle?

blumon said:
You have to admit tho' that there are some classic scenes and I believe those scenes to be responsible for most of us going back from time to time and 'reviewing' the movie.
Are there any other movies that come close to capturing the 'spirit' of an oceanic lifestyle?

none whatsoever.... i must admit, putting Arquette aside i really enjoy the movie, it's fascinating for none divers and keeps divers hankering to go back in...

island_sands said:
putting Arquette aside i really enjoy the movie, it's fascinating for non divers .

Oh, I'd put her aside alright :p
I just wouldn't give her anything to laugh about...well, I hope not :hmm
Overbite, big boobs....yum!
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Reactions: sinkweight
divng heretic

I rented this film when I started diving, looking forward to a good movie about diving. What I got was a movie that wasn't appealing to me and sort of had some diving. I'm not saying that people are wrong to enjoy The Big Blue. I just think it'd be nice if there were more films that portray the joy of diving without resorting to gimmicks like shark attacks or naked people. The shark attacks certainly are detrimental, and not everyone wants to see the latter. However, that's all my personal opinion. Bottom line, I didn't like it that much, but that's ok. :)

Last edited:
Re: divng heretic

BatRay said:
shark attacks or naked people. The shark attacks certainly are detrimental, and not everyone wants to see the latter.
I don't remember the shark in the Big Blue. Some nudity in the Euro version, not the American. Maybe we're talking about different movies.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Reactions: BatRay
You are very right that there was no shark attack in Big Blue, Erik. I meant diving films in general, which usually feature some kind of killer shark/orca/squid, etc, which ends up eating the divers and doesn't cast a positive light on diving. I only suggest that a diving film that doesn't cast this sport in such a negative light would be welcome.

As for the nudity, it must have been the European version that I saw, because they were cavortin'. Once again, no offense meant to The Big Blue fans. If I freely enjoy The Pirates of Penzance, I cannot say anything against anyone's taste in movies. :D

Reactions: Erik
I like the scene where Patricia Arquette attacked that naked shark.

I like the scene where Rosanna Arquette has the lower half of her body ripped clean off by that great white shark. I stood up and shouted for joy! However, I couldn't believe how graphic and realistic the scene looked (very gory). Later I heard that the attack really happened, during filming, and she died, but they kept the scene in the movie. That must be why it was so realistic. Either way, it was a VERY satisfying scene.

They should give a special MEDAL or AWARD to that great white shark, for good judgement and good timing.

By the way, the Arquette/Great White scene was in the Indo-Canadian version.

BatRay said:
:D too right. What version was that? :t

*giggle* not the one i was watching... hehehehe Adrian sent me the extra long version... realy embarrassing when the s3x scenes started and my cleaning lady was right there doing the ironing... :eek:

Reactions: BatRay
:D So Arquette attacking the naked shark was the... Texas version? I must've forgotten that part, but one thing I didn't forget... the guy from The Professional in a Speedo...burned into my brain... :(

the guy from The Professional in a Speedo...burned into my brain...

Actually in the European version, the guy from The Professional (Jean Reno) only wears a small, child's sock...as opposed to the speedo.

It wouldn't have been that bad if they hadn't shown 30 minutes of him training in that little thing. I dunno what was worse.

The stairmaster, the 200 lb. squats, the rowing machine....or the jumping jacks.

:yack

sinkweight said:
Actually in the European version, the guy from The Professional (Jean Reno) only wears a small, child's sock...as opposed to the speedo.

It wouldn't have been that bad if they hadn't shown 30 minutes of him training in that little thing. I dunno what was worse.

The stairmaster, the 200 lb. squats, the rowing machine....or the jumping jacks.

:yack EEEewwwwww!!!! TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!!! :yack

:yack Thanks a lot for the visual - NOT! :yack

sinkweight said:

lol a freediver wearing a willy-warmer... lmao!

Cheers to Eric F. for the white shark visual... god knows what the Mediterranean version is going to be.. specially if it was filmed entirely in Greece... rofl rofl no telling what's behind you in the water...

island_sands said:
lol a freediver wearing a willy-warmer... lmao!

Cheers to Eric F. for the white shark visual... god knows what the Mediterranean version is going to be.. specially if it was filmed entirely in Greece... rofl rofl no telling what's behind you in the water...

:hmm I think that would be rather easy to tell..... Jean Reno in a "willie-warmer" :mute <cue up the "Jaws" music.... or the "Psycho" theme>

No worries BatRay!
You guys are all too mean to my lovely Rosanna :vangry
Did you know that song 'Rosanna' by Toto was written for her? Have you seen 'Desperately Seeking Susan'? I'll admit that was a stinker, but she still out-acted Madonna: Queen of Skanks :yack
What about 'The Whole Nine Yards" with Bruce Willis...she is stunning in that ....mmmmmmm, cougar :p
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Erik said:
What about 'The Whole Nine Yards" with Bruce Willis...she is stunning in that ....mmmmmmm, cougar :p
Cheers,
Erik Y.

the only good part of that movie was Amanda Peat :inlove

oh, and the fine selection of handguns :)

But how hard is it to out-act Madonna? :D I think Arquette was in The Flight of The Intruder, and I remember her doing a good job in that one. But I don't remember her laughing. Am I missing something remarkable?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT