• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Big Footed Divers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

freediver48

Apr 5, 2001
Hi,

I have size 12 feet, and can bearly get them and a 5mm sock into the european fins that I have tried, even though they are 46-48.
Where I live the water is getting colder, and I would like to find fins that can accommodate my foot size with some room to spare for some extra rubber. I am currently diving in warm bliss with an old pair of Jet fins and a thick socks but the performance suffers and the straps tend to collect stuff. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks, and best wishes,

Freediver48

freediver48
Same problem here. When the first long fins came out about 30 yrs ago we split the top of the foot pocket and added shoe laces. I don't think that will work with the stiffer blades now but, I may try something similar on my old Sporasubs.
The other idea that worked well in temperatures of 14-15 was to cut the toes out of a thin sock and use them to plug the hole in front, then wear a very large 5mm sock, with a little more than the toes removed, over the fin.
Please let me know if you come up with a good answer.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the ideas. I posted this question here and in freedive list, we will see what comes back. So far a couple of add laces, but I am loath to do that, but I'll start looking for some really big oversocks. I remember my first pair of Cressi Rodines in 46-48 from the late 1960s. I could not believe it, at best they were N.A. size 10s, I quess that they stretched or something but eventually I stopped getting cramps, but the idea of a thin sock was out of the question. You are completely right when you say why not 48-50? Thanks again, I'll let you know if anything comes in.

Best wishes,

Doug

the ladies love big feet...

I asked this question in another thread, then noticed this one. Guess I've got to spend more time scrolling...

I've got size 13's US and the only long fins I've been able to get into wearing socks or boots are from Esclapaz, the Champion du Monde, open heel units. I'm not wild about the strap attachment points, as they're like the Scubapro split fins- a stud is molded into the pocket and the adjustable clip slides over it, rather than the much better older Scubapro style- the simple over and under stainless loop.

The blades are a grey plastic blend that is wearing pretty well considering the runs over rocks and the occasional push-off the bottom. Their flex is about right if you've got a big, sweeping kick, like in midwater. The rails hold the blades fine too.

They're not as cool as the Omer Ice's, and they have no carbon/kevlar, but they fit.

Maybe someone at Picasso can read this and help us out. I'd pick up a couple pair in a flash if they fit.

sven

Hi,

You might want to try the OMER Millenium foot pocket 46-48, it is wider and larger than the Picasso. I asked Roger about their fins and while there is a new line of fins on their way out it does not appear that the dimensions of the foot pocket has been altered.
I hope that this helps.

Best wishes,

Doug

>You might want to try the OMER Millenium foot pocket 46-48, it is wider and larger than the Picasso.

Aloha Doug

Yesterday I got my feet in an Omer 46-48 at Blue Water Hunter. I plan to build a pair of socks out of 3, 4.5 and 6.5 mm scrap and use my 2 mm overboot.

BTW on Sunday, just before the storm hit, I added five meters to my personal best in bone chilling 22 degree water.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Good news about the fins and the personal best!!! What size are your 2mm over boots, I may just have to get some. What OMERs did you get?

Best wishes,

Doug

oversox

Thanks. It was a great week for me. Two bests and a static within 3 seconds.
I ordered just the foot pockets to use with the carbone pures.
I still have every plastic blade I ever bought. The 1982 model is very comfortable for long days and I like the sexy light blue. For deep I use the Beuchat part carbon and live with the sore legs the next day.
The sox are Mares XL that I got from Glennon with the pures. Old trick from the days when all fins were 40-42. Cut the toes off and wear them under very thin socks and the booties over the fins when the water is cold.

Bill

Re: the ladies love big feet...

Originally posted by icarus pacific
I'm not wild about the strap attachment points, as they're like the Scubapro split fins- a stud is molded into the pocket and the adjustable clip slides over it, rather than the much better older Scubapro style- the simple over and under stainless loop.

sven [/B]

Sven, I believe that you can buy those steel spring replacements from Oceanic. I know of people that have bought brand new ones in the last 2 years.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Big feet, big fish...

Hi Bill, Doug and Erik,

Well I screwed up bigtime. I worked my feet, less socks, into a pair of Picasso carbon fiber fins, size 48 and took off for a little stroll about the pool. These things are just NUTS!! Now I've just got to get a pair!! But then I'll still not be able to wear my size 6, 5mm socks... so I guess I'm going to have to go with installing grommets and laces...

I think I picked the wrong year to quit drinking.

You're right Erik, I have a good buddy that went with the now defunct Farallon, currently Oceanic, springs and has good luck with them on his Scubapro split fins. I used to use them on my Scubapro Jet fins.

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT