• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Big Wave Surfing - CO2 and Pool training questions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

watermad

Mar 28, 2017
Hello everyone! I'm new here :) I would appreciate any help or info anyone may have! I am an aspiring big wave surfer from South Africa. I have done a freediving course with South Africa's free diving champion, and also quite a lot of research into training, safety etc.. so I'm quite well versed on the basics of CO2 & O2 training and safety. I have a swim coach (who is well trained to deal with a black out situation) who helps me 3 days a week with pool training sessions and I also do CO2 Dry training at home. The pool training has only been going for about a month now, but my Co2 training at home and the odd apnea walks Ive been doing for about 4 months now. OK! I thought to just give a brief overview before I Dive straight in with my questions!

My first question is around pool training. During my training session I'll do various things, which all consist of raising my heart rate and holding my breath. For e.g, 8 x 25m sprints with no breath during each length, or sprinting to one side of the pool and then swimming back underwater. This is really good for big wave surfing as its done with a high heart rate. So my question is around the O2 content in my body.. While doing for e.g. 8 x 25m sprints (no breath during each length) I'll have just 10 seconds to rest between lengths, I realise the CO2 in my body is rising, and this makes it harder and harder as I do more lengths. But, what is happening to the O2 as I go? Is the 10 seconds of deep breathing between lengths enough to replenish my O2? The reason why I am asking is I'm struggling with Panic! I'm really struggling to stay calm. If I know that my O2 is high enough after a 10sec break I think it will help me to relax.

The other question I have is probably the same but with regards to a CO2 table, I do 1min30sec holds (I know not great at all.. really struggling to improve.. and deal with contractions!). My question is when I get to the last hold where I only have 15seconds to breath before my last 1min30sec hold, do have the same amount of O2 in my body as when I started my first hold? So at the beginning of the first and last holds is the O2 content in me different? Of course I know the CO2 is a lot higher.

My apologies for the long explanation, but just wanted to be clear. Id really appreciate any answers and advice you may have to help me stay calm, I'm really struggling to stay calm. Again the clarity around my O2 levels may help. I also am the type where I get get really strong contractions :arghh: but thats just the way it is:) Thanks to anyone who read all this!

But, what is happening to the O2 as I go? Is the 10 seconds of deep breathing between lengths enough to replenish my O2? The reason why I am asking is I'm struggling with Panic! I'm really struggling to stay calm. If I know that my O2 is high enough after a 10sec break I think it will help me to relax.

On a low heart rate, like when you're doing 25 m laps underwater, 10 Secs of breathing should be enough to replenish your O2. The challenge then is the CO2 build up. Since you are sprinting, I'm not sure if the 10 secs breathing is enough to replenish your O2. Also, your heart rate will stay up during the under water portion, using up your O2. But aside from the physiological aspect, I think that there is a very strong correlation between physical exertion and your state of mental arousal. Its hard to have a relaxed mind with an elevated heart rate and while doing some kind of maximum physical effort like a sprint. I think that's where your feeling of panic comes from. Do a bit of googling around sympathicus and parasympathicus, the fight or flight instinct and the general vegetative nervous system and you'll see how state of mind, heart rate, muscle contraction etc. is related.

Cheers,
M

Reactions: watermad
Thanks Penyu! Appreciate you taking the time to answer! I'll do some research on that.. very interesting. I couldn't agree more, very difficult to stay calm when your heart is pumping fast from exercise. Thanks again

Somebody once timed how long people stay underwater after wipeouts in solid conditions. Surprisingly it was rarely longer than 10 secs., even long hold-downs were only 15 secs. Sounds ridiculously short, but anybody who surfed in double head high surf will know that its plenty long enough to feel its about time to pop up again. Its all in the mind. And it all depends on the circumstances.

Two things:

Do your pool work with a buddy. Ten seconds should be long enough, especially given high c02 levels, but repeated sprints with short recovery depletes your 02. Black out becomes a possibility, not to be ignored.

Penyu is right about relaxation, helps a whole lot on a long hold down. (RANT:I don't care if they are not as long as they seem, they still last for freaking ever! and you are doing waves way bigger than I ever have). Being able to relax, accept the situation, go with the washing machine and wait it out helps hugely. It sounds like you are pushing hard enough to not be able to relax, the main thing you need to do. I'd suggest backing off, finding the max effort that you can relax with and increase effort from there, never more than you can relax with.

Is the 10 seconds of deep breathing between lengths enough to replenish my O2? The reason why I am asking is I'm struggling with Panic! I'm really struggling to stay calm. If I know that my O2 is high enough after a 10sec break I think it will help me to relax.

To answer simply, Yes! You should still have high levels of O2 saturation in your blood and of course, high levels of CO2 as well.

If you really believe that knowing your vitals (SaO2 and HR) during training will help then go and buy a half decent oximeter and have your coach apply it to your finger during the rest phase of your table. The results will become skewed as the session progresses due to body temperature and peripheral vasoconstriction but in the end if it helps you to relax then it's money well spent.
I sometimes do dry static tables with my oximeter on so I can see what my heart rate is during breath up and hold.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT