• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

biggest grouper on your spear?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Well, I went all over Israel and yet I can not find a Jew weighing more than 250 pounds ? How ?......just kidding.

Jew fish I think is now called Goliath fish or something, it prevent discrimination.

I never seen a grouper bigger than 50 lbs, I know big ones are out there and the protected Australian Potato Cod is like 250 lbs but where the hell did you find one Jew that size ? I thought 400-500 lbs was big enough.

Is the meat edible at that size ?
How many guys/guns you need to subdue this fish ?

Let me know the story .........very interesting.......u got any photo to share ?

Regards,
IYA

Back home we have lots in the 500 / 600 lbs. range . We don't spear them , have lost more fish to these than sharks . Friends of mine have spent time with their heads and shoulders inside their mouths , so am very wary when chasing them away .

Jews change everything

well yea i know the real name is now goliafth but i still call it jew fish. Why do we got to change because the jews said its makes ther name look bad. The jew that i caught was in las marquesas in key west its a protected grouper so only cacht it if u can get past the marine pratrol. the meat is the same as the red but u got alot more meat.as in catching it i recomend a power head shoot after u speard him because they can pull like no other. Its a pain in the ass to get them up the boat so go with some friends to help u get it up. Like all other grouper they eat lobster but these eat more of it so u get that good taste with these fish.

PROTECTED!!!!!

cubandiver you really need to wake up!!!

"The jew that i caught was in las marquesas in key west its a protected grouper so only cacht it if u can get past the marine pratrol."

this is the most irresponsible thing i have ever seen anyone post at DB, i think the rest of the hunters here would like to give you a good thrashing for that. these fish are protected for a REASON. you are not an exception to fish and games rules. these fish live to over 50 years to get so large, and you killed it just cause it was a huge trophy. learn some conservation, and same some fish for the rest of us, our children and grandchildren. i hope the next one that sees you eats you somehow

yes i know

I know that there protected "over 20 years" but there is no reason for it no more. the law was past due to over fishing of it in the 70's but now ther are more then before. so why not fish them again. maybe because ther "protogynous hermaphrodites" with means they start as females but, can morph into males as they age. Would you like to no something eles ??? all other grouper except the nassau and the warsaw and yellowfin are the same. they morph to males when they reach about 18in's .Now why are they speacial.... maybe because there big? Hey so are the black but yes the florida record is 680 lbs. So why not hunt them again? they where endangerd but not no more. So then why do u hunt? for game nooo I like to eat thats why i hunt . so why not ?

If they are protected, then you don't hunt them no matter what you yourself think. In your other thread your wondering why new laws are being brought in against spearfishing, yet you've just pretty much answered that yourself. You breaking the law costs other spearfishers who respect the laws. You get the fish, they get the bad reputation.
If I was spearfishing and saw some fish that big, I'd leave em alone out of the respect that they've survived that long. They have a major part to play in the ecosystem, and if the law is still there to protect them, then there is a reason for it. Amazingly, the experts that actually decide on these rules are a lot more knowledgeable about the whole situation than you are, so respect what they say you can and can't do, and realise that it's for the good of the oceans.

The reason you do not hunt Jewfish is b/c they are so easily wiped out. They have no fear of man and as such will swim right up to you. They are easily stoned by anyone with a minor amount of skill at spearing...which you must not have if you are spearing jews. This is the same reason they dont have giant sea bass anymore...and if they made a comeback most would still not hunt them. I see that you truly do not understand the sport...it really is not about how much meat you can put in the boat. As for the marine patrol, do you realize when they do catch you you will lose your boat, all gear onboard, if it has a trailor at the launch you lose that and heaven forbid you have it hitched to your truck b/c that becomes theirs...you get none of that back! Then there will be a hefty fine and possibly some jail time as well. Your probably one of those guys who is mad that they are closing spawning grounds down during the spawn...wake up

one day thing

This is my catch last month in sunshine key and marina all the fish is gone now mostly because half was giving to family and friends:

back in the days

this was in 1975 in cuba and caught by my dad

Last edited by a moderator:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT