• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Biggest Pet Peeve?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I think there's some unspoken rule against posting on old threads, but I don't know anything about computers, so I plead ignorance. I just had to post when I saw the topic title.

The thing I hate most has to be a tie between the moronic "dangling octopus" mentioned several times already, and people who are so fixated on piece of gear/system detail that they refuse to consider any other option no matter what, to the point of total insanity. :head

No rules here about posting on old threads - feel free, many of these old threads are treasure troves of information!

The reason I haven't scubadived in 10 years or so: buddies lol. Not that I dived much with buddies anyway. Something about being alone in the water that I always preferred. Buddies are for after the diving haha!

P.A.D.I. training vidios .
The incessant chirpiness ,endless high-fiving and nausea-inducing " good jobs " drive me nuts !

The incessant chirpiness ,endless high-fiving and nausea-inducing " good jobs " drive me nuts !

Can't argue with that. The whole shmoozy/sweet/happy retail sales pitch is gross. I don't miss teaching that stuff one bit. I remember in my IDC that a huge part of the instructor training was about selling more courses and gear. But, fair enough, people aren't interested in a good training course that takes time and costs money, so feed 'em what they want!

The reason I haven't scubadived in 10 years or so: buddies lol.

Yeah I can see how bad buddies could get unbelievably annoying. Ruin the whole dive for sure. Not to mention just being dangerous. I'm lucky enough to only dive with my brother and a friend, both of whom are fellow Eagle Scouts and excellent swimmers.

Reactions: Erik
Yeah I can see how bad buddies could get unbelievably annoying. Ruin the whole dive for sure. Not to mention just being dangerous. I'm lucky enough to only dive with my brother and a friend, both of whom are fellow Eagle Scouts and excellent swimmers.

I did have a few friends that were outstanding divers when I did scubadive... guys that I knew were very capable of taking care of themselves and would be able to keep their heads together under duress, and take care of me if neded. But they're far and few between in my experience. Most people scared me underwater and I didn't want to end up dead or worse.
I started solo diving aftre taking a rescue course, and never looked back.
Now as a freediver it's probably more important to have a buddy, but I'm a spearo in limited vis so it doesn't ever work out that way.

Cheers,
Erik

bad spearo buddies who poke you while they load... man how do they piss you off! or they point their loaded gun at you while they look elsewhere, i mean if youre goint to point that thing at me, at least look....

I totally agree! I just passed my PADI exam today, and I thanked the Lord that I don't have to watch that day-glo suited, perma-smile DVD again.

i'll spell it out for you... fish such as frogfish, stonefish, rockfish, hawkfish, etc. who like to settle down onto a place are harassed by divers who poke, prod, use regs to blow bubbles at them, fan sand at them with their fins... just so they can see them move.
i've seen divers harass angelfish and several other bigger pelagics by chasing them all over the reef. the goal is to blend in with nature as much as possible. i hope that clears things up for you.

Sorry I didn't follow the thread, but now I see what the problem is. You don't know the difference between benthic and pelagic fish. Here is a simple explanation.

Pelagic and Benthic are opposites

Benthic means living on the bottom
Pelagic means living in the water above the bottom

So pelagic fish make the open ocean their home. They swim continuously in open water, usually well offshore, they tend to be nomadic and do not remain in one area.

So the fish that you mentioned are all benthic. Examples of pelagics would include marlin, tuna, swordfish, etc. I hope that clears it up for you.

Maybe i'm just lucky here is SA but i dive with a dive 'club' mostly & the guys are all awesome. we're friends as well as buddies. i do agree that it's always betta to dive with someone you know well & trust. the few times i've dived with people i don't know i am astounded at how little u see them or how quickly they run out of air etc!
personal pet peev tho has 2 be people u are not careful about leeving things are they are! bumping pieces off the reef.... there's just no excuse for that!! :rcard

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT