• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Biggest Pet Peeve?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
A lot of what was already mentioned. I would have to add buddies who do their own thing. Basically, not paying attention and just swimming off into the blue or staring at the sand. Also, showing up with leaky gear. I consider that to be just plain rude.

My biggest pet peeve are divers who just don't pay attention to anything; their air pressure, depth gauge,ascent rate, location of their buddy, and so forth. You spend a bit of time going over the dive plan but as soon as they hit the water, your diving with a total brainless idiot, diving with people like this is worse than diving alone, plus if they do something really stupid and get killed, then you'll probably feel guilty for the rest of your life because you were the idiot's dive buddy and now they're gone. One thing I learned early, if someone is foolish out of the water, then he's an even bigger fool in the water.

Whew, that was close Sara, I have a pink wetsuit and a yellow mask. Gauges on scuba gear annoys me, why do they have to be so bulky, it's like dive watches they've gotta makem the size of Big Ben.

You are correct BatRay, scuba gear costs money. Free divers are only people who can't afford scuba gear, so they have to duck dive down for little peeks at the underwater world. Or if they have bought some scuba gear they realise that their dive is restricted 'cos they can't afford a boat.

So, freedivers = poor people
Scuba Divers = rich people.

Oh what a stir LOL!!

Hey Poida,

when your sell off your scuba kit you can buy a hell of a lot of freediver kit!

Jon:)

Jon said:
Hey Poida,

when your sell off your scuba kit you can buy a hell of a lot of freediver kit!

Jon:)

So true. I'm selling one item and that will be enough to cover all the gear I need to get started in freediving. Actually, I've already started. I expect to improve quite a bit with the correct gear.:)

Very true, Jon. I'm pretty much fully outfitted for freediving now. The great thing is that much of the gear retains its value, so if I sell my Blue Tang knife, I could probably afford a Riffe Stubby, and that'd be just fine :D.

And yep, I'm in the poor people category :D.

porsc said:
however, there is a difference b/t natives who only know what they have grown up with in their environments, and divers who have been certified, educated and exposed to all of the media of reef conservation.
as i said earlier, it's hard for me to get upset with people making a general mistake out of ignorants. but when an educated person performs these acts out of complete apathy, then that is another story.

The Maldivians cant be classed as ignorant uneducated. Most Maldivians that I know were educated in Sri Lanka, India, or UK. They have also received OWSI certifications which by no means makes them ignorant.

The marine life is there wildlife, where as we played with tadpoles, chameleons, lizards, snakes and rats back in Africa rofl the Maldivians play with their natural habitat.

As i have seen it, their natural marine habitat is not really affected by it. :cool:

Rich Brats with absolutly no education or morals who have a speargun and blast everything in sight in 2m of water to impress a equally dumb chick sitting on the beach:vangry :rcard , come to Cyprus we have hundreds of them.

Last edited:
Mine is the loud mouth on a dive boat, telling all the newbies about the shark, moray, barracuda attacks, how deep he has been and how he trained with then Navy Seals. His recreational rig looks like a psydo-tech rig with 1000 d-rings and gear clipped everywhere.

John

Last edited:
John A said:
Mine is the loud mouth on a dive boat, telling all the newbies about the shark, moray, barracuda attacks, how deep he has been and how he trained with then Navy Seals. His recreational rig looks like a psydo-tech rig with 1000 d-rings and gear clipped everywhere.

John

almost as bad as the zillions of "oh yeah, I'm a diver too" types you meet globe trotting. I like the ones I meet in bars that chime in after somebody finds out I'm an instructor. they will instantly revell you with tails of the harcore "boat" dives they did in Cancun while on spring break, and how they saw a "cuda" that looked like it wanted to eat them.

I find 99% of certified divers are as much divers as a person that likes to walk nature trails in the city park is a hiker. :head

I find 99% of certified divers are as much divers as a person that likes to walk nature trails in the city park is a hiker. rofl

Sounds like the ever present CYBER DIVER. The ones that learned everything they know off the interent and never actually hit the water. ;)

Jon

hey jon, what about our friend the "prince" can't get much of a bigger pet peeve than him.

The lobster boats going too fast close to shore! I know one of these days I'm
going to get run over. In Newport/Laguna beach they get within a couple hundred feet of shore. Plus they are loud....and they catch the lobsters that I want.
If other divers have issues that bother me I don't think about it, or don't dive with them.

I'm not sure if this has been metionned or not (didn't feel like reading the whole thread over, its getting pretty big);

People kicking up a bunch of silt at the bottom with their fins.

At the local quarry the viz can go from nearly 60ft down to 10-15 ft in some of the shallower areas after an intro scuba course.

Last edited:
Boat Captains who aren't divers...............and having no clue. Also leaving late from the slip and getting to the dive site last.

How about other divers constantly bumping into you.........fins in the face.

Happy Diving

This is a peeve that most of you won't be able to identify with but it eats my lunch.

Being so in love with the warm azul blue waters and never being able to go to them.

Loving so much the water and not having any one to love it with. My boyfriend doesnt' swim. :(

Mermaid24 said:
This is a peeve that most of you won't be able to identify with but it eats my lunch.

Being so in love with the warm azul blue waters and never being able to go to them.

Loving so much the water and not having any one to love it with. My boyfriend doesnt' swim. :(

I can definitely identify with that. My girlfriend doesn't swim.:head

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT