• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Biller Caribbean

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

peskydor

Jul 19, 2004
The purpose of this thread is to
introduce the Biller Limited and
describe the modifications which
I found useful when cruising the
sand flats and reefs of the Florida
Keys and points south. I
found this gun to be useful in
taking medium size fish such
as snapper, grouper, mackeral
and hogfish. I hope that you
will too.

Attachments

• diving equipment 001.jpg
    diving equipment 001.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 417
This particular gun is the old style Limited without line release. Many years ago, Biller acquired the last of these antique grips from Australian sources. A couple years ago Fred finally decided it was time to upgrade the grip and current mods are similar to the other guns with identical type line release. However, the line release was never a strong suit and occasionally causes friction with the trigger. The method of line release shown here was suggested to me by Wally Potts in 1990. His design was tending toward something fancier than this. However, I have found my 'sharkfin' line release to be 100% reliable. Moreover, the sweet smoothness of touching off the Sea Hornet trigger is unimpaired.

Looking closely at the wishbone notches, one might notice that they look different somehow. They are. They have been opened up. File the flat a small amount, just enough to allow insertion of a carbide saw. This saw is a wire with carburundum particles welded to it. It fits into a standard hacksaw. Normally, this saw is used to cut ceramic tile. However, it is also veryi useful for routing out and smoothing the wishbone groove. Finish up with abrasive cloth.

The shooting line is 500# kevlar. This stuff is nice to handle, easy to string, has low resistance (small dia), and is very tough around coral and against shark skin. Seal the ends with glue, the material will not burn or melt.

The reel is lightweight and holds just enough tuna line to take the pressure off when fighting a fish. The teak gun, when discharged, will float well with this reel attached. It is a crucial piece of equipment.

Tahitian spear

Notice the slide ring and stop ring.
Unseen is the soft foam pad glued
to the underside of the wing. This
setup will toggle with 100% reliability.

Attachments

• diving equipment 003.jpg
    diving equipment 003.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 384
When hunting, the wing is captured underneath the slide ring. It springs out under accelleration. Ordinarily, the laminar flow over the wing would cause the shaft to nose downward. That does not happen . The stop ring, placed close to the wing, causes turbulence which cancels the flow off the wing. The wing will deploy and hold even if the spear tip lodges inside the fish. It is better all around if the spear penetrates through. Then, for example, the slide ring can be used to capture the wing and release the spear. There are undoubtedly theoretical objections to the extra resistance imposed by the stop ring. In practice, this is irrelevant. When designing equipment of this kind it is important to consider reasonable design compromises which will further your objective of catching fish. This is an example of such reasoning.

Last edited:
Rubber bands

Two custom rubber bands are used.
These are made of Riffe 5/8 rubber and home made wire cable wishbones. Each has a traction of approx 150 pounds. Time to replace these.

Attachments

• diving equipment 009.jpg
    diving equipment 009.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 367
The bands are Riffe "gorilla" rubber. These have the same modulus as Mori black. Cut to 24 inches, and quite stiff. I could check the scale but elect not to. I am a weight lifter and once placed high in statewide bodybuilding contests. I am a former Mr Maryland. An exercise I do twice weekly is the rowing machine. I normally do 8 reps X 3 sets with the weight pin set to 160 pounds. I do this specifically so I can pull the bands on guns like the Caribbean.

You seem like a passionate young man, fascinated with spearguns. Thanks for the contribution.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish and Erik
peskydor said:
You seem like a passionate young man, fascinated with spearguns. Thanks for the contribution.

rofl
Zing!
Erik Y.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT