• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

biosensors

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Angus

Apr 2, 2001
Has anyone used a dive computer with biosensors? I just heard about this from a technical diver. Erik, do you know anything about this? If it works they way it was represented it would be an interesting tool measure our progress.

Hi Angus; in the last year and a half I have drifted away completely from scuba and tech diving. I remember hearing talk of this sort of computer, but I haven't seen anything.
Anyone else...Stephan, maybe?
Cheers,
Erik Y.

I've never used one, and I haven't been near the water since March so haven't had a chance to speak to any of my usual Tech Diving buddies.

I'll drop a few of them an email and see what info comes out of it...

Do you happen to know which one your friend was talking about?

What the heck is a biosensor?
All of the guys, and gals, that I dive tech with use tables and bottom timers. No one uses computers- except the laptop kind to generate tables before you go.
The only sensor that I ever heard of for freediving was a pulse-ox meter that might be mounted in a mask one day.
Jon

Ok, First biosensors are devises that attach to your body and measure different biological processes such as heartrate, bloodpressure, oxygen levels, etc.

I don't know which one one Scott was referring but it came up in a discussion that he was having with Octo about the Suunto Mosquite dive computer (which Octo has and I don't - of course I am above envy). I don't know if it was a Suunto product but what I recall was that these were sensors that were attached to the skin and then had leads that attached to the dive computer which stored the data. This data could then be downloaded to a computer and displayed in various graphs. This would then allow the diver to record different biological processes throughout each dive and between each dive. Obviously, this would be wonderful information for us.

So unlike tables, these are real time measures. I think it would be invaluable for understanding the idiographic factors, such as optimal breathing up sequences. It would also enable a diver to target specific times and depths of dive cylce. Say for instance that a diver discovers that at -15 meters they suddenly have an increase in heartrate. The diver could then start training to manage that. Or even though the diver feels that need to surface that they are still carrying sufficient oxygen levels. Or that the diver experiences a reduce heartrate only after they have been diving for more than X minutes or only after X dives or only past depth X or only in water below temperature X or some combination of these factors

In essence the use of biosensors would provide biofeedback that was specific for each dive and over multiple dives. Not only would the diver understand their dive response for a particular dive under certain conditions, they would also be able to develop an understanding of how their physiology responds over a diving session and over multiple diving sessions. An example of this would be to understand if a diver responds differently based on the time of day, water temperature, or diving for several hours several days in succession or other factors. The applications would broad and specific.

Cool stuff.

Jack-ed in

Amazing. I keep having two flashes: Cyberdivepunk and "Sorry, I can´t let you inhale yet, Dave".

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT