• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

blade stiffness

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

schilba

Mar 8, 2023
Hi everybody!
this has been asked before but considering my case I do it again:

I have my hands on a pair of CETMA Mantra fins ( full carbon) . Everything is just what I want, except for the blade stiffness. They are medium

For now I use Cetma Prana with a soft blade.

I go for experience underwater going to 40 m regularly( but no competition, no spear fishing) My PB is 59 m with Bi-Fins

I am 181 and weigh 75 kg
But: I have a long history of triathlon and cycling with 12.000 km per year in my active years. Means I have relatively strong legs with a lot of endurance.

What do you say about the medium stiff blade for me?
Thanks all!

Hello,
I am not kind of expert but I just want to say that based on your background in triathlon and cycling, it sounds like you have good endurance and leg strength. However, without knowing your specific finning technique and preferences, it's difficult to say definitively whether the medium stiffness of the CETMA Mantra fins will be suitable for you.

That being said, if you are comfortable using the softer Cetma Prana fins, you may find the medium stiffness of the Mantra fins to be a good middle ground. It's worth noting that stiffer fins can provide more power and speed, but may also require more effort and be less forgiving on the legs.

Ultimately, the best way to determine if the medium stiffness is right for you is to try them out in the water and see how they feel. If possible, you could also consider renting or borrowing a pair to test before making a purchase.

Hello,
I am not kind of expert but I just want to say that based on your background in triathlon and cycling, it sounds like you have good endurance and leg strength. However, without knowing your specific finning technique and preferences, it's difficult to say definitively whether the medium stiffness of the CETMA Mantra fins will be suitable for you.

That being said, if you are comfortable using the softer Cetma Prana fins, you may find the medium stiffness of the Mantra fins to be a good middle ground. It's worth noting that stiffer fins can provide more power and speed, but may also require more effort and be less forgiving on the legs.

Ultimately, the best way to determine if the medium stiffness is right for you is to try them out in the water and see how they feel. If possible, you could also consider renting or borrowing a pair to test before making a purchase.
Thanks a lot! Makes perfect sense! The problem is that these are used fins sold by a guy who lives 900 km from me. So difficult to try them out.

Hi everybody!
this has been asked before but considering my case I do it again:

I have my hands on a pair of CETMA Mantra fins ( full carbon) . Everything is just what I want, except for the blade stiffness. They are medium

For now I use Cetma Prana with a soft blade.

I go for experience underwater going to 40 m regularly( but no competition, no spear fishing) My PB is 59 m with Bi-Fins

I am 181 and weigh 75 kg
But: I have a long history of triathlon and cycling with 12.000 km per year in my active years. Means I have relatively strong legs with a lot of endurance.

What do you say about the medium stiff blade for me?
Thanks all!
Most of the free divers I know run softer blades. That said, here are my thoughts:
- I think with pure free diving, you can get away with softer blades as you're not fighting current AND making the drop like spearfishermen do.
- Regardless of what people use, the key is finding what works with you and your legs efficiently. The best is to try out the fins. The next best is to feel them in your hands and flex them. If you know you want stiffer, then feel for that. Vice versa.
- If you have the mediums, then give them a try. Is there something about them that is making you hesitant?
- FWIW, I run the Cetma Edge in medium. I'm 5'7" and 160 lbs. While I dive every week, I probably don't have the leg conditioning like you.
- Also note, every brand is different in what they consider soft, medium, or stiff. One brands soft is another's stiff. There's no standard out there.

After I did a lot of hunting around for blades I had settled on either the Cetma line or the Meandros (X-Free). I'd say the Cetma Edge in Medium and the X-Free in Medium-soft are comparable. Just so you have an idea.

Most of the free divers I know run softer blades. That said, here are my thoughts:
- I think with pure free diving, you can get away with softer blades as you're not fighting current AND making the drop like spearfishermen do.
- Regardless of what people use, the key is finding what works with you and your legs efficiently. The best is to try out the fins. The next best is to feel them in your hands and flex them. If you know you want stiffer, then feel for that. Vice versa.
- If you have the mediums, then give them a try. Is there something about them that is making you hesitant?
- FWIW, I run the Cetma Edge in medium. I'm 5'7" and 160 lbs. While I dive every week, I probably don't have the leg conditioning like you.
- Also note, every brand is different in what they consider soft, medium, or stiff. One brands soft is another's stiff. There's no standard out there.

After I did a lot of hunting around for blades I had settled on either the Cetma line or the Meandros (X-Free). I'd say the Cetma Edge in Medium and the X-Free in Medium-soft are comparable. Just so you have an idea.
very helpful! much appreciated!!!

Hello,

So much obliged! Seems to reason! One catch is that the seller is located 900 kilometers away from me, and these fins are secondhand. To test them out is a daunting task.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT