• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Blue Water Open

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
You can lift it but nature can still drop it

a nice boat took a hit, another one a hundred feet away sunk completely and many were upside down or fre floating in the inlet.

Hatteras Leviathan, a protector of Sailors

Hatteras Light, the black and white goliath of the OBX, warning sailors rain or shine, for as long as I can remember

Let the games begin! (not Athens)

Manny is on a mission to spear a 50lb fish with a pole spear. Yes, quite a primitive quest you say.

As I type this the trees are going sideways and so is the rain, the windows are also bowing. This one is called Hurricane Charlie. (should I be online right now? hmm..)

Fish Burglar on the job

Here he is living up to his name. His nickname is the "Fish Burglar" We still haven't figured out why he does this to his hair before he goes spearfishing. It works I guess.

When the dust settled

Fish burgler burgled, Manny "mano a mano'ed" the AJ and David impressed us once again of what he's capable of doing with half the horse power of any other human being.

With the occasion of Manny's presence we watched him handfeed an 8ft Sandbar Shark (wild) with a freshly speared bonito. Sure Manny, go right ahead I promise I won't stop you...

Eat up boys&gals, tomorrow we go diving!

Barbecue courtesy of Hatteras Landing Marina

Last edited:
So What Did You Guys Do Last Weekend?

I went freediving in the Omer Bluewater Open off Hatteras.

I shot fish at 75 feet deep, my best ever. Not like a real freediver, but still my personal best.

I dove numerous wrecks that were torpedoed by the Germans in WWII, and learned the history of every one.

I dove with big schools of big African Pomano. Once I got two with one shot.

I learned some new stalking methods.

I almost got my first Wahoo, but he was smarter than me. This time.

I shot my biggest freedive fish to date, a 38 lb Jack, rolled him over. The only shot I missed was on a Cuda, and I really didn't want to mess with him since they arent in the tourney.

I saw a big shark jump out of the water right behind the boat as I hopped in with my weight belt full of chum.

I had a big Manta Ray circling me as I untangled an African Pompano from my marker buoy.

I swam around in a weedline. Never have done that before. It was beautiful with all the strange baitfish that hang out there. I would have loved to see even a 10 lb Dolphin.

I got to see GR Tarr disappear into the abyss like he had tanks on. "Wait here, I'll bring the fish up to you".

I got to see Nole Karcher's thumb which became wrapped in his shooting line when he shot the tournament record 63 lb Yellowfin Tuna. He is lucky he didn't buy the farm on that one.

I got 15th overall.........I was real happy with that being that I'm not a real freediver. Yet, like the 5th through 20th placers, I could have been 4th with just one more fish! That woulda been a shocker!

I met some really awesome people. Matt and Denise Turner from Spearfishinggear.com. Guy Nesbitt. Richard Gage and Steven Rodger from Key West. Great divers, great people. Manny Puig........yes the famous shark rider guy. No Meghan though. Phillipe Vigili from Canada, great freediver on our boat. Russ the photographer. Kurt Bickel, editor of Spearfishing Mag and former motorcycle racer like myself and GR Tarr. Bill Ernst and Bonnie Row from California. Plus, I got to hang out with my bro's GR Tarr, Jerry Guerra, David Shelton, and Nole and Dane Karcher and Mark Labocetta.

So, what did you guys do last weekend?

Attachments

• john1.jpg
    john1.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 334
Reactions: DeepThought
30 of the finest BWHunters in the country

These boys from Florida set the new standard. They raised the bar one notch.

Nole Karcher, this year's winner, shot a 73lb AJ, a 63lb Yellowfin tuna, a 35lb cobia and an African pompano. Dive buddy Steve Rogers shot a wahoo, yellowfin tuna, an African Pompano and an amberjack. All in just two days of diving since friday (the first day) was canceled do to weather.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT