• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Blue Water Open

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Champions OMER BW OPEN 04

1st Nole Karcher (center)
2nd Steve Rogers (left)
3rd GR Tarr (right)
...and all the ladies and gentleman who participated because you are all true sportsman. Thank you for coming, we very much enjoyed it.

100ft or so away from the surface

Schooling African pompano
(I got some great pictures of this school)

Last picture!

John glad you came, you guys did great! Once a hunter always a hunter right? On monday we went back out and it was beautiful again. We shot a couple nice fish and took a few photos. Lot's of life out there, talk to you soon,
Mark

Last edited:
Re: Last picture!

Originally posted by Mark Laboccetta
John glad you came, you guys did great! Once a hunter always a hunter right? On monday we went back out and it was beautiful again. We shot a couple nice fish and took a few photos. Lot's of life out there, talk to you soon,
Mark

Man, what a gob of fun! I'll be there next year for sure!

Fantastic pictures Mark. I guess I have to put this place on my "must go" list.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

New Disposable camera!

Hi Juan-John,

I was using a disposable camera, you know the one you buy at the Quickie mart the last minute when you're on a rush to get on the boat? Worked pretty well I guess.

Mark ;)

Reactions: groats
Not a disposable afterall

Seriously though, most of those pictures for the exception of a couple by Bonnie Row were taken with an Olympus 400 digital camera with a small compact underwater housing. The whole set up I think is $500 or so ($350+$150 for the housing from LeisurePro or similar).

it's actually my friend Alex's camera and I borrowed it to take pictures of them because we were having problems with my Nokonos V which has a strobe and it's what I normally use. The Olympus is nice because even at depth the flash works remarcably well to bring out the colors of the fish and it's water resistant to the elements. In the saltwater environment with sprey and wet hands it's convenient and doesn't even have to be in the housing when it's out of the water. For the price it's a great camera considering I have three times that amount invested in my Nikonos V and it takes a stellar photography session to get pictures that even compare to the digital ones. Not to mension film and developing costs and not knowing etc etc.

Maybe with a wide angle fish-eye lens in the Nikonos V things would be different as professional photographer Mark Jacobs some other more experienced photographers than myself suggested but at $2000 I think I'll just switch to digital soon at a quarter of the price and make things simpler. I guess the only reason I haven't fully switched is I'm still a bit partial to the traditional and artistic aspect of shooting film from taking a few photography courses.

Good luck,

Mark

Hey Mark,

Can't give you a karma. Deeperblue says I've given you enough already:D thanks for the pictures though.

Cingene

Reactions: Mark Laboccetta
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT