• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bluewater Camo Suits

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Amphibious

Working Class Spearo
Mar 17, 2002
Does anyone know where one would obtain a 1.5mm Neoprene or Lycra Skinsuit with a Bluewater Camo pattern?

Willer

thanks - thats the pattern all right. I'm looking for something for HOT water. like when I'm in the middle east.

I emailed hanapa to see what the thickness is.

Willer

WAY to thick. although I might pick that suit up for Carib & Florida hunting.

we're talking 130F (53C) in the sun and high 90's F (40's) in the water. it;s a skin suit or some really thin neo.

Over fishing is a problem in the Gulf so the pelagics are very skittish - looking for some camo to creep in closer like

Willer

Omer has also pretty nice looking ocean camo suit.
Ocean mimetic:

Tuomo

Attachments

• ocean_mimetic.jpg
    ocean_mimetic.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 333
Question:
If the water is that hot why you need to wear suit?

Answer:
Originally posted by Amphibious

Over fishing is a problem in the Gulf so the pelagics are very skittish - looking for some camo to creep in closer like

Willer

Amph , I don't think you are going to get anything thinner than 3 mm. wiith bluewater camo pattern . Maybe look at one of those Henderson 1 mm. suits and apply your own camo .:hmm

competetive swimmers use some sort of fullbody suit.
Couldnt one of those do, youd just have to apply camo on in it.

As abri mentioned, it might be very difficult if not impossible to find bluewater camo suit thinner than 3 mm.

Body paint sounds like an idea.. ;)

Tuomo

Just my humble opinion but the camo pattern is more for the diver than the fish. Its not like the fish don't know you are there or won't be able to see you even w/ camo. Palagics come close out of curiosity, they like to hunt around floating objects or hang out in the shade. Stalking tech. are more important than camo. Ck/out alot of the divers that are consistantly taking and alot of fish and most of them aren't wearing camo suits. True camo suits look cool(and I have two) but it's mainly because I got a good deal on them. I think camo works its best on bottom hunting where you have structure to hide around. As long as the overfishing isn't from spearos the fish shouldn't recognise you as a threat. Try different body postures or different stalking tech. this might help more than a new suit and it's cheaper. Again just my opinion.
Jay

Reactions: andrsn
90 degree water!?
I would just go to a tattoo shop. ;) :D

Jon

Nice one Jay! :cool:

The Omer Dahlak is probably the way to go. It's 1.5 mil.

Anderson

I liked Jay’s comments about the camo suit. I have a Harvey's 1-MM Mens Titanium suit from LesisurePro.com and its colors are very non-obtrusive black and gray. At $71.95 it’s a whole cheaper than the camo suits from the European freediving companies.

I have been very comfortable in it in temperatures from the upper 80’s to the lower 70’s (with a hood). In warm water I wear it because I like the protection it gives me from coral on rig supports and from jellyfish. It’s just one less thing to worry about.

I have heard a couple of time, from people working in the local dives shops, that fish are color blind. As a fisherman who has spent my share on different color offshore trolling lures, I find that hard to believe. Any opinions?
Don

in my biology of fishes course,

we just learned that fish do in fact see in color, varies by species of course, and many can even see in the ultra-violet range. When vis/light conditions are bad they mask the cones in their eyes with a pigment and bring the rods forward. The rods see in black and white and are good in low light. When vis/light conditions are good fish mask the rods in the pigment and move the cones forward so that they can see more color. This is the way fish get around the problem of not having an iris thats contractile.
The chances of of fooling a fish with a camo suit is slim to none. They have very advanced lateral line systems which let them feel you before they ever see you. In fact, I would venture to guess that they can feel you contracted muscles tensing and twitching and that is how many fish can seem to tell if you are hunting or just watching.
That doesn't mean that I don't want to paint a camo/striping pattern on all my stuff just to look cool. I feel like I would fit in more too if I had cryptic coloration like many fish have(although not any bluewater species, just counter-shading). I think the only thing that might fool a fish usefully as far as camo would be stripes/tinting in the goggles to shield/mask the eyes(many fish do this) and maybe false eyespots on the fins(fish do this as well). That way the fish might think your looking away when your looking right at him. Has anyone experimented with false eyespots here? I know it wouldn't have a huge difference but every advantage helps and it's just another cool thing to mess with when the vis is bad ;)

examples of what I'm talking about;

stripes and eyespots:
stripespot.jpg

stripespot2.jpg

Last edited:
Don,

Your local divers may be right or they may be wrong, but they are definitely being too general.

Of all vertebrate species on earth, more than half are fish. To say "fish are colorblind" is a generalization even greater than saying "tetrapods are colorblind". The variability you see among mammals (humans vs. dogs for instance) is no different for the fishes.

What I can tell you is that fish do, in fact, have many of the same eye constituents as mammals; including a retina with "rod" and "cone" cells. The abundance of each kind of cell determines color and light sensitivity. Humans have both of course. Rods are the ones working to assess shape, cones relay color. Cones need much more light than rods; this is why you can make out the shape of objects at night, but not the color. Like tetrapods, each fish is suited to its environment. Sooooo, a reasonable assumption would be that benthic fishes living in murky water may be colorblind,....but as for pelagic, bluewater fishes....my guess is that they would have full appreciation of the art gallery.

Ted

Don, fish are for the most part unable to distinguish most colors...what the lures do have that they see very well is contrast. Colors are for catching fisherman, not fish:D This has been studied extensively, especially by the Billfish Foundation, it has been shown that marlin have one of the lowest abilities to distinguish color of the fishes. At depth color is absorbed so evenif the eye could detect the color, the light waves are not there. Its all shades...

Last edited:
No way

Ever seen an octopus going into camo mode? It changes colour and texture.
If fish were colour blind it wouldn't have to bother. (I assume some fish eat octopus of course. ( i know morays do so they are not colour blind at least :)

I agree with Jay. Pelagics come closer because they have seen you and want to squizz out this funny cat in the water. If you could become invisible you wouldn't see any fish. ( Reef fish aside obviously)
I rate camo suits a gimmic for open water. :hmm

Skin.

wha..? no i dont have one..

The over fishing is from comercial and Spearo's alike. Many times I've been offshore and stumbled upon a platoon of scuba divers all packing 450's and shooting everything in sight. It's quite disturbing. Ever seen a 3lb fish hit with something that big? surprised there is anything left to eat.

I know that BlueCamo skins do exist. I say one made of polartech and nylon once. but had HUGE god-awful text across the side. (even know it was that big I still don;t remember what is says)

I'd buy a regular skin suit, as I need solar protection and the black cooks. Plus I like to keep the Style Police happy. and how would I keep my rep up if I had a NORMAL skin suit? ;-)

I use flashers to bring them in, but the minute they see a diver (the ones worth shooting) they go balistic.

Willer

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT