• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

"Boat" style buoys/boards

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

A.C.

Jan 13, 2008
I've been trying to compile a list of information (sizes, equipment etc) plus pros and cons for the various "boat" style buoy's/boards. The primary reason is so that I can make an informed choice of which one to buy, but once I have collated the information I would happily put some form of table/article together so that others can do the same. Manufacturers information tends to be minimal, a few dimensions and weights.Some of these appear a bit "odd" as the Omer Clipper is (according to dims) 3cm longer and 2cm wider than the Beuchat Guardian.I have not had the opportunity to view these buoys side by side but having watched the promo video for the Guardian and seen the Clipper in the "flesh" it would appear that the Guardian is a lot bigger ( or they used a small person to demonstrate it). Likewise there is very little info on the Best Okipa 2. (There also may be buoys that I haven't heard of )

So I'm asking the help of anyone who has this style of buoy/board to come forward with any relevant info, not just sizes but materials used,equipment and any extras they may come with. Also how they perform/or don't. Hopefully with a little help I can do the same kind of comparison table for buoy's that APNEA.cz have for dive computers,so that at a glance you can find one that suits your needs and your pocket.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

A.C.

Sevylor dive hunter - 119cmx70cm ( manufacturers dimension)
Pros - loads of storage space & bits to clip stuff onto which ensures you can take extra cameras, spare weights, guns etc. that seldom actually get used :)
It's great for lying on and finning through surf / swell or just sitting on for a break.
Visible to boats & has a flag holder which I tend to use if the J*t skis are around.

Cons - crap if the wind is approx f4 or more as it really gets blown around and drags if you're heading into the wind.
It takes up quite a bit of space when inflated - could be a bit tedious if you have a smaller car/ storage space and have to continually inflate&deflate.

I've had mine a good few years and would prob get another.

Thanks Grantl
I appreciate your post,but unfortunately during my "research" on these buoys I found out Sevylor no longer make the Dive Hunter. Some of my friends have them and rate them, so it's a shame. But as I said in my post hopefully I can come up with a list of equivalent or maybe better buoys.

Thanks again
A.C.

OMER CLIPPER =

I posted a review in my topic "Purchase of new kit" and tried to give acurate details.

Please let me know if there is something you wish to know (apart from weight as I don't have weighing devices at hand).

Last edited:
Thanks Balpherus I've just read your review, very interesting. I'm definitely leaning toward this float,however I'd like to get more info on the Best Okipa2 before making my decision.
Thanks again for your help.

A.C.

Ive only seen and fingered the okipa 2,it looks fairly well made,it got smooth plastic exterior and is a bit smaller than the dive hunter,wich migth be both a goood and a bad thing,I dont think you can sit on it to rest,but it might be more managable in wind/current. I think omer makes a copy of the divehunter, its in their 2013 catalogue.

Last edited:
I'm also looking at getting a "boat" buoy and have found it hard to get information on some of them. So far I'm looking at these:

* * * Omer Clipper
* * * Beuchat Guardian
* * * Best Hunter Okipa 2
* * * Sevylor Dive Hunter

Balpherus has already reviewed the Omer for us, I haven't had time to look for information on the Beuchat. I can't find much on the Sevylor though, some people say it is no longer made, but on their webpage they advertise it still (http://www.sevylor-europe.com/p-36-divehunter-sdb120r.aspx). The Best Hunter is also not easy to get info on (some places say you can put 2 guns, others 4, others 6, etc) there is a general mixup between the two since they both have "Hunter" somewhere in the name :). Grantl has given some info on the Sevylor too, thank you.

I a surprised nobody has actually been able to test all 4 and writeup a comparison article, have none of the magazines/websites though of this?

Im going spearing with a mate who has a sevlyor this weekend,will give it a good poke to see if its any good...

Thanks sjurba! Can't wait to read about it :) . Where are you going?

West coast of Norway,going to see if there is more of those large cod thats been landed there lately :D

Hey Sjorba, how did your fishing session go? Catch any big cod?

What kind of wetsuit do you use for that temperature?

Did you get to try out the boat float?

Cheers

Hi A.C.

Brilliant idea I’ve also been doing a lot of research into floats on here with the plan to make my own. So a run down of different dimensions with pros and cons would be really useful.

Keep up the research

Diddavetellyou

Have drybag will travel.

Bit of a hijack of thread though, we went to a place that "allways"holds fish,but this time there was only a fiew,my mates chaught acouple of largish cod,biggest close to fifteen kgs.I missed two due to a croocked spear... As we were boat diving I diddnt get to finger the seyvlor,but had a chat about it,good piece of equipment,if I can find somewhere to purchase it I will get one...
Were using 7mm suits 5 degrees water.

Last edited:
I got the Best Hunter Okipa 2 in the end and I am very happy with it. It travels well, has lots of room and is well built. We use it either standalone with an anchor and hunt around it or with an extra round and flat buoy that we tug around with us if we venture farther (using the Okipa as a base camp). We don't tug the Okipa as it is usually heavy once loaded with food and fresh water. We use it in shore/reef/rock hunting only.

Thanks all for your input!

My Beuchat Guardian performs great for its intended purpose - it provides a good platform to rest or fin from and is very visible. It's probably saved my life by making me visible to boats speeding along in Poole Bay. I dive alone and it gives me confidence to go further offshore when needed. When loaded drag is minimal - I attach a line direct from the float to my gun.

I pack all my gear in the float leaving nothing behind on the beach when I spearfish.

I can comfortably rest on this and operate my VHF radio or leave it monitoring CH16. I also carry an emergency location beacon - the float is high enough out of the water for the beacon to be effective if activated - GPS doesn't work underwater!

Resting on this float I can make a phone call if necessary and at night I can change batteries on my torch. Due to these benefits I am reluctant to take out a smaller float although there may be times when a smaller float is more suitable.

Last edited:
i just got a sit on top inflatable kayak that i've modified (small grapple anchor, straps for gun, fins and etc) but its changed my game plan completely. its great packs down into a back pack and not to heavy either (8kg without the paddle).

b square inshore 2.7 got it on ebay for £40 :) i think they go for about £400 new

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT