1. Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 38,500+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 473,000+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 5,500+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Body types

Discussion in 'Beginner Freediving Q&A' started by Richard Bender, May 10, 2018.

1. Richard Bender

Richard Bender New Member

Local Time:
    11:53 AM
    Hi all
    I am beginning in Freediving. I have a larger upper body than lower body. I know it sounds like a cop-out but my legs are not that strong. Is there a certain workout routine that i should be doing? I live in the Northeast US where apparently there are zero other freedivers, and i dont have anyone to train with. Just musing to myself on the forum. thanks for listening

2. daforg

daforg New Member

Local Time:
    1:53 AM
    Never skip leg day. ;)

Do you swim much? If not, start there. Do laps with fins, laps without. Do aerobic and anaerobic pool workouts.

Do you work out? If so, get squatting to build strength, do some metcon style workouts too, to give you aerobic and anaerobic conditioning. That should work pretty well. Though the best practice is actual freediving.

Richard Bender likes this.
  3. Richard Bender

Richard Bender New Member

Local Time:
    How did you know i hate leg day? LOL

Thanks for advice. I am not consistent swimming so that's where i need to start. I do work out, again, consistency is key for me. And yes squats really make my legs sore so im sure that's where i need to focus. As far as actual freediving i am trapped in the Northeast where it's almost impossible to find somewhere but i'll remember :)

4. Jellythings

Jellythings Supporter Supporter

Local Time:
    Yep... water is the key. Long physical story, but my legs are totally screwed up. The only thing that helps is getting into the water for at least 1 one hour session per week. I have 5mm, 3mm and 1.5 suits so I can go year round. Thee is a murky lake just down the street which I use and some clear ponds within 20mi of me. I don't use the local pool which is only 1/2mi away because the staff never cleans it and it is completely disgusting. :)