• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Body types

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Apr 11, 2018
Hi all
I am beginning in Freediving. I have a larger upper body than lower body. I know it sounds like a cop-out but my legs are not that strong. Is there a certain workout routine that i should be doing? I live in the Northeast US where apparently there are zero other freedivers, and i dont have anyone to train with. Just musing to myself on the forum. thanks for listening

Never skip leg day. ;)

Do you swim much? If not, start there. Do laps with fins, laps without. Do aerobic and anaerobic pool workouts.

Do you work out? If so, get squatting to build strength, do some metcon style workouts too, to give you aerobic and anaerobic conditioning. That should work pretty well. Though the best practice is actual freediving.

Reactions: Richard Bender
Never skip leg day. ;)

Do you swim much? If not, start there. Do laps with fins, laps without. Do aerobic and anaerobic pool workouts.

Do you work out? If so, get squatting to build strength, do some metcon style workouts too, to give you aerobic and anaerobic conditioning. That should work pretty well. Though the best practice is actual freediving.

How did you know i hate leg day? LOL

Thanks for advice. I am not consistent swimming so that's where i need to start. I do work out, again, consistency is key for me. And yes squats really make my legs sore so im sure that's where i need to focus. As far as actual freediving i am trapped in the Northeast where it's almost impossible to find somewhere but i'll remember :)

Yep... water is the key. Long physical story, but my legs are totally screwed up. The only thing that helps is getting into the water for at least 1 one hour session per week. I have 5mm, 3mm and 1.5 suits so I can go year round. Thee is a murky lake just down the street which I use and some clear ponds within 20mi of me. I don't use the local pool which is only 1/2mi away because the staff never cleans it and it is completely disgusting. :)

Squats are good but don't forget to stretch post exercise, you don't want to loose flexibility. Also scissor kicks, the core plays a big part in any exercise, especially finning I agree though, the best exercise will be actually using your fins, you'll be strengthening the tendons as well as the muscles and not neglecting ankle flexibility. If I want to really work, I put on my Cressi master frog fins when there's a spring tide and just fin against the tide. It's good on multiple levels, it's good exercise and it firmly reminds me the seas in charge!

Thanks for all the advice. I feel like i am "cheating" when i use fins but they do tend to make my legs work hard! Now if i could just find a pool where they will not try to drag me out of the water for trying to be a fish!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT