• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bonjour from France, looking for news about spearfishing in Ireland.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Edouard

Mar 20, 2006
Hi,

I'm a french guy living in Paris, so, excuse me in advance for my poor English !
Whth a few friends, we are planning a trip in Ireland during the last week of may.
We should go to the south-west coast, I don't know exactly where for the moment.

Is there anybody here to tell me a few things about spearfishing in Irland, please ?
I wonder about the regulation (hunting license, time restriction, forbiden species, minimum sizes ...), the goog places to go...
We are used to hunt in Normandy and Britany in France, most of the time whithout a boat, usually not very deep (from 3 to 10 meters).
We usually hunt seabass, mullets, places, crabs, sometimes lobsters, and from time to time a fish we call "vieille" : It looks a bit like a carp, but with nice red and/or green colors. It is quite easy to shoot, It can reach 6 Lb or more. It contains many bones, but if you know how to cook it, it can be good (but, as you know, frenchies eat almost everything, even snails and frog legs !).

So all your advises, informations, experiences ... will be welcome to help us to prepare our trip.
Thank you in advance !

If i'm right then Vielle is a wrasse and you will see plenty here and in Ireland. Huan is a good contact for Irish Spearfishing questions so I'm sure he'll respond. good luck.

Hi Edouard

Regulations are as follows, Bass 2 per person per day. minimum size 45 cm
all other species -no limit.
regarding spearguns rubber guns only pneumatics are classed as firearms and could possibly be a problem.
You will find plenty of Mullet, both red and grey/golden and lots of Wrasse.
There are no spearfishing regulations as it is not a common sport here but you cannot spear Salmon anywhere, this is quite strictly enforced.
You do not need a License as there is none.
If you need anymore advice just ask, If I can help I will.

Thank you for your messages.
I'm very impatient to be there !
I will contact you again when I 'll know exactly where we're going to stay on the West coast.
I won't ask you to give me your better spots, of course, but maybee a few advises to chose suitable places to go fishing !
I think your size regulations for bass are better than ours (on the west coast of France size for sea bass is 36 cm, which is too small according to many scientists.)
Is it possible to find big (for me big means more than 3 lb !) yellow pollack if we start from shores without a boat ?
A couple of years ago, I've read somewhere that flat fishes and crabs were forbidden, was it wrong ?
Another question : is it compulsory to have a red buoy with a diving flag to signal our présence, or just recommended, or useless ?
Last question : what is the water temperature at the end of may in West Ireland : between 10 and 15 °C I guess ? 7 mm would be OK ?

Sorry for my questions, but it's really cool to be able to chat with other speros like you.

And of course, if you, or a friend of yours, have the opportunity to go to France someday, feel free to ask fme or information. I will be happy to try to help you if I can.

Best regards.

Edouard
Crabs and flatfish are OK
You should be able to see some bigger pollock in May
like these ones
115279144_c6679aace7.jpg

No Buoy is needed except to hold your catch but I would advise in case of boat traffic to have one with a Alpha flag.
Water temperature in May should be 13-15 deg C
7mm will be plenty, unless you feel the cold ;)

Hi Huan,

Now I know where I'm going to stay during my trip in Ireland.
I 'll be in Waterville, in the Kerry.
Have you ever been spearfishing there ? Do you think it's worth going to this place ?
All your advice and experience will be welcome: do not hesitate to contact me on my personnal e-mail adress if you want. (eddevaux@yahoo.fr).
And of course, if you're around Waterville by the end of may, come and have a couple of stouts with us, it will be great to talk about spearfishing together !

Bye.

Hi edouard,
If you are coming north west give me a shout not a spearo yet but should be able to help you out with some stuff I,m in sligo Between Mayo and Donegal. Some good spots and have a DIY float set up etc

Hello Huan (and the others spearo's too, of course !)

In fact, we are going to stay in Valentia Island, near Caherciveen, in the south west coast.
Have you ever been there ?
Do you know where I can find information in order to be sure that there are no sperafishing restrictions there ?

We are starting to prepare our trip. The only problem is the weight belt: we are only allowed to carry 20 Kg by plane !
I'm trying to see if it will be possible to rent some in a diving center (there are 2 center in Valentia).
Else, do you know were we can buy some in the area ?

Thanks

Huan said:
Edouard
Crabs and flatfish are OK
You should be able to see some bigger pollock in May
like these ones
No Buoy is needed except to hold your catch but I would advise in case of boat traffic to have one with a Alpha flag.
Water temperature in May should be 13-15 deg C
7mm will be plenty, unless you feel the cold ;)

There have been spearfishing competitions held at Valentia Is. in the past, 1970's/80's I think, but not sure what the current situation is.

Take it from me, there are no restrictions except for 2 bass per person per day.

Huan said:
Take it from me, there are no restrictions except for 2 bass per person per day.

Hi Huan,
Thank you ! I was a bit desapointed because when I asked for the possibility of renting extra weights at the Valentia diving center, they told me that spearfishing was FORBIDDEN there !
But I think they are less informed than you are, or maybe they told me that because they don't like spearo's very much ?

Anyway, we have our plane tickets : we will be at Valentia Isand from May 24 to 26 with all the equipement and a lot of excitation !
If by chance you are in the area, it would be great to have a couple of beer with you...

Edouard
(eddevaux@yahoo.fr)

Hi all. Anybody knows spearfishing spots not far from Dublin (up to 1 hour of driving)? Thanks in advance.

Hi Garett,
I,m on the other side of the coast but if you try pint o guinness here and there are others who often go out on sunday mornings also seamunki and paddy the frog who gave an address on this thread.
http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=56400&highlight=ireland+dublin
Seem scotmans bay and sandycove are some of the main spots but others will know better I,m sure all within an hours drive traffic depending etc

Thanks to all of you, especially to you Huan for your reponses.
My trip in Ireland was great.
We've been catching many pollochs (spearfising and angling), somme crabs and a few big wrasses.
Wrasses ? you might think : yes, frenchies eat everything, you know !

Truly, it can be very good.
My receipe (in fact a receipe from Tahiti) : cut the meat in small cubes (about 1x1 cm). Put them in a bowl wtih lemon juice (green limes are better, about 1 per personne), tomato cubes, thin slices of white oignons and/or chive, salt, and as much red hot chili peper as you like.
Let one night in the fridge.
Remove the juice.
You can serve like that or add some coco-milk half an hour before serving.
Just try, you will adopt it !

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT