• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bonjour !

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

suzukisan

Jun 1, 2005
Hello everyone,

This is my first post as I need to introduce myself. What should I start with ? Ok, I love free-diving which is not too much of a surprise for you, right ?
I've been free-diving for about 4 years now, most often in a swimming pool as I live in the North-east part of France (Reims, for those who know), and getting to the ocean takes quite a bit of time.
Hopefully I do get to practice from time to time in a deeper pool near Paris (not so deep, 20 m) and go to the French Riviera every summer (I spearfish as well, more for the pleasure of seeing the fishes than catching them).

I recently did a training course in Sharm-el-Sheik with Umberto Pelizzari and this was just fantastic. I have probably learned more in one week than during the 4 previous years; my PBs have improved a great deal but more importantly my approach to free-diving will never be the same (relaxation and pleasure...). If you have the opportunity (and the money, even though it is not that expensive really) one day to follow "Pelo"'s course, go for it ! You won't regret it.

Anyway here is a little request that some of you might be able to help me with. I am going soon to Playa del Carmen in Mexico for a week vacation (my wife won that trip :girlie ) and was wondering if any one of you would know about free-diving (or spearfishing) possibilities in that area. I've seen that scuba diving was very popular (and I will probably do a little bit of it), but I'd rather free-dive in the warm and crystal-clear water.. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

One last point : if you ever come to the region of Champagne in France, don't hesitate to contact me as Champagne (the wine) is what I make for a living. I'd be happy to offer you a taste :D

Cheers !

suzukisan said:
I recently did a training course in Sharm-el-Sheik with Umberto Pelizzari and this was just fantastic. I have probably learned more in one week than during the 4 previous years; my PBs have improved a great deal but more importantly my approach to free-diving will never be the same (relaxation and pleasure...). If you have the opportunity (and the money, even though it is not that expensive really) one day to follow "Pelo"'s course, go for it ! You won't regret it.

Cheers !

hi there!
welcome aboard.. wow you did that course, that's fantastic.. why don't you post us some photos.. there are some UP fans here :)

Welcome suzukisan.
I've been to Playa and Coz plus other areas around there a few times.
In Playa you'll need to get out on a boat as the reefs are a fair distance from shore and there is a constant slow current. I went out on scuba trips as a snorkeller and had fun, diving on 20 metre reefs. I wasn't spearing at the the time, but I know it's done there. Go the dive shops that are in the town square and do some negotiating, or find a local fisherman with a small boat to take you out.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Island-sands,

The course took place at the Sheik Coast Diving Center within the Domina Coral Bay Hotel complex. The free-diving set up is excellent, with 4 separate boeys to practice constant weight that are only a short swim from the beach, and a platform for variable weight. And then diving pools for static, so it is really convenient. The program is quite intense, 5 full days from 9 am to 7 pm with less than an hour for lunch (more info on Umberto Pelzzari website). I can't wait to do it again !

There were quite of few apneists that week in Sharm, and we were blessed to have the visit of Carlos Coste.

Here are a few pics.
- Participants on the last day : tired but happy after a glass of Champagne...
- Umberto in the water (courtesy of Agnes Tresarieu)
- the platform for Variable Weight (same)
- Umberto checking the technique of a free-diver (same)
- Umberto and Carlos (courtesy of Peter the Dutchman)

Attachments

• CIMG0899.JPG
    CIMG0899.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC01414.JPG
    DSC01414.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 190
  • Apnea academy may 05 006.jpg
    Apnea academy may 05 006.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 195
  • Apnea academy may 05 031.jpg
    Apnea academy may 05 031.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Apnea academy may 05 001smaller.JPG
    Apnea academy may 05 001smaller.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 172
Erik,

Muchas Gracias for the info. Good idea to go free-dive while my wife will be scuba diving. She might go for :ko afterwards, though :hmm
Just need to make sure there is a buddy making sure I'm fine. I'd like to go to about 100 feet but will limit myself to less if I am by myself.

I will try to contact shops for spearfishing, a few of them do have websites. I wasn't sure it was allowed in this part of Mexico. I'll let you know when I am back.

I will probably post a thread in the "Find a buddy and places to dive" section as well.

Adios !

I think you might find that you may get different answers as to the legallity and whether or not they would allow it, based on their clientel. Some divers would have a shit-fit if they saw a speargun on the boat. Then of course they return to their hotels to eat freshly caught fish of the same reef then flush their sewage onto that reef :duh
We're talking about Mexico, so, like many other poorer countries, a handshake with a few extra pesos usually will take care of the doubt.
I have a friend who has done some spearing there in the past (on scuba) without difficulty.
I spent a week in a town of 100 (Xcaret) that's 5 hours south, living in a hut and diving Banco Chinchorro. It's worth it to get out there if you can....no divers to speak of really.
Let us know, and have a good trip. Lots of Europeans there too.
I'd like to go back some day.
Salud!
Erik Y.

Well scuba and spearfishing don't mix at all for me. Scuba and spearfishing at the same time is like shooting a cow in a stable... :rcard I just can't see the point. That is the way it is anyway in most European countries, if not all, but it should be the case all over the world IMHO.

I can only think of spearfishingwhile free-diving, and I'd rather come back without any catch that shoot an easy prey...

I do speak spanish so I should be able to find somebody with a boat to take me somewhere. And yes, the propina should help too ;)

Going 5 hours South might be not so easy, but you never know. Thanks for the info anyway, and let me know if you come to France, I'll be happy the send you some info.

suzukisan said:
Well scuba and spearfishing don't mix at all for me. Scuba and spearfishing at the same time is like shooting a cow in a stable... :rcard I just can't see the point. That is the way it is anyway in most European countries, if not all, but it should be the case all over the world IMHO.

I can only think of spearfishingwhile free-diving, and I'd rather come back without any catch that shoot an easy prey...

I do speak spanish so I should be able to find somebody with a boat to take me somewhere. And yes, the propina should help too ;)

Going 5 hours South might be not so easy, but you never know. Thanks for the info anyway, and let me know if you come to France, I'll be happy the send you some info.

bonitas fotos!!!
bienvenido Suz... ya encontraras muchos de hablada espanol por aqui ;)

great pics... cant wait to do my course... booking for hawaii in november... my dreams are already full of island smells, blue water and the sound of the trees...mmmm

Erik said:
We're talking about Mexico, so, like many other poorer countries, a handshake with a few extra pesos usually will take care of the doubt.
I have a friend who has done some spearing there in the past (on scuba) without difficulty.
Let us know, and have a good trip. Lots of Europeans there too.
I'd like to go back some day.
Salud!
Erik Y.

There it is. It is how everything start, I mean when people thing that is nice to offer some extra pesos to do anything just because they are dealing with poorer people. Corruption needs two to go on. And then they can say that it's a corrupted county with lots of corrupted people. It is kind of sad to read that stuff.

Well Suzukisan, It is legal to spear in Mexico, just freediving spearfishing aloud, scuba spearfishing is not legal. You can get a sport fishing permit (permiso de pesca deportiva) just for the time you need. It is not expensive. It is not legal to take shellfish, not crustacean nor molluscs.

The problem in the Playa del Carmen area is that many sites are under certain protection, as marine parks or other diferent conservation figures. Just ask the local agencys.

I know that are some freedivers in the area because ocasionally they train with the Solomons but i just not have the e-mails or so. You can contact the Solomons FREDIVERS and ask for the freedivers they know in that part of Mexico. They been working with Umberto some time ago.

Salud

Carlos

Reactions: Erik
Carlos, my apologies if I have touched a nerve or offended.....Lo Siento.
I did not mean to imply that anyone should try and hunt in a protected area, just that there are areas where it would be appropriate and ecologically sound. Possibly illegal (you have clarified otherwise), but ethically ok if done properly and someone is rewarded for their assistance.
For example, in my Province in Canada, there are 300,000 anglers. There are now 4 active freedive spearfishermen. There are some silly rules about speafishing, based on long ago when people would stand in the streams and spear fish from above the water. Therefore, we cannot shoot certain fish, even if we follow the anglers' catch limitations. Our political lobbying would be a joke, given our team of 4!
We bend the rules to serve our needs, and we are ethical and ecological about it. One of us spoke to a Fishery Officer and he had never even heard about our sport. He said to stay within anglers limits and we should be ok. Luckily, we did not have to pay him for his assistance, but we would have if needed.
I agree that there is abuse of the environment in 3rd world countries by expats and it is inexcusable and offensive, but in my experience, including living in such a country, locals are the worst offenders. Even in Canada, the indigenous population can shoot or fish anything at almost any time, with no restrictions that are enforceable or measurable, and there is much abuse.
Again, please accept my apology and understand my statement.
Salud,
Erik Y.

Hi Erik. No need to apologize. I just wanted to clarified how the regulations are down here. I agree that there are much damage made by some locals and others, and that is my point. We can legaly spearfish in our waters but in some places the activity has a bad image because some abuse by comercial fisherman spearfishing rocky points and reefs by nigth, using hookas and powerful torches, and because some scuba divers doing the same (I'm not arguing about the ethics of scuba spearfishing) taking every fish they can. But, by the other side here are lot of locals and foreigners triying to pull the things up in this county.

I just try to say that if we can spearfish legaly, we want to keep the things runing like that. I realy like freediving spearfishing.

Cheers

welcome to db suzukisan and thanx for sharing the lovely pics!
yours
pat

Immerlustig,

To tell you the truth, I don't ride any bike at all... Suzuki-san means "Mister Seabass" in Japanese, because this is the fish that I prefer to spearfish. Also I do love Japan, where I have been many times for business.

I am leaving tomorrow for Playa del Carmen :friday , I hope I will have the opportunity to freedive and why not spearfish. I for sure will respect local regulations, and would never spearfish in a protected area. That's again my ethics... Anyway, I hope I'll be able to meet with some local people.

In any case, I will let you know how everything goes when I'm back and will try to send you some pics also.

! Hasta luego, amigos !

Fred

PS : Island-sands, are you really taking a freediving course with Umberto in Hawaii ? That would be very cool :cool:

Reactions: pat fish
suzukisan said:
PS : Island-sands, are you really taking a freediving course with Umberto in Hawaii ? That would be very cool :cool:

hi.. it's not with Umberto its with Kirk Krack :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT