• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Boogie Boards For YF Tuna in South African

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

miles

BORN WILD!!!
Supporter
Jun 13, 2003
Hiya

Just some pictures on my new boogie board. Was designed for serious YF Tuna by Tommy Botha. After much trial and error, not to mention a couple of lost smaller boogie boards, this is the result.

Muliple 11ltr RA type floats were also tried, but weren't very effective. Problem being that after fighting a fish for 30min-1hr, the spearo gets very tired and if he lets go of the bungie, the fish simply sinks back down.

This is where the boogie board float comes into its own. It has a "cleat" which allows you to tie off bungie which is already been retrieved. Easy to see what i mean in the pictures. A 25-30m THICK bungie is attached. It has to be thick because after being stretched out, it becomes quite thin and can be a nightmare to grip and pull. So the thicker the bungee, the easier its going to be on your hands.

Ok, this is the drill, 10m bungie is rolled off the boogie board, fish is shot, the rest is then simply pulled off the now cartwheeling through the water boogie board. The fish then pulls until the bungie is completely extended and now pulls against the float. Tommys mentioned of a 70kg YF pulling his float and bungie 30m under!!!! Mention should also be made of a 100kg class YF that simply disappeared with float and bungie!!!!! Pulled it down and just never surfaced again!!!!

Here are the pics:

Attachments

• tuna gear - boogie board 1.jpg
    tuna gear - boogie board 1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 669
Close up of the "cleat" that holds the bungie after its been retrieved. This "cleat" is whats used on sailing vessels to keep their ropes taught. Available at most sailing shops.

Attachments

• tuna gear - boogie board 2.jpg
    tuna gear - boogie board 2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 576
Boogie Board next to a 11Ltr RA float, just to show how big it is.

Attachments

• tuna gear - boogie board 4.jpg
    tuna gear - boogie board 4.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 594
hey miles this "bungie" is looks like the cheap stuff we have over here with many many much thin elastic white fibers in it. I think they lost their properties after some time and not strechy as real bungy.

I have a DVD where a 93 kilo BF pulls a normal body board down for over an hour

I picked up 6x25litre cannisters yesterday which are going to be my "jaws style" barrels

Screw the bungie i am going for all out abseiling rope.

talking of bungies ....has anyone tried the commercially avilable bungies that are used to tow inflatables etc.. behind motorboats. Just an idea, they must be pretty damn strong....

Originally posted by shaneshac
I have a DVD where a 93 kilo BF pulls a normal body board down for over an hour

I picked up 6x25litre cannisters yesterday which are going to be my "jaws style" barrels

Screw the bungie i am going for all out abseiling rope.

A climbing rope have a nice coefficient of absorption... If you get twin ones (8.5mm) an use in simple he could do the trick.

Static ropes (the ones used in canyoning/caving/rescue) have little absorption, and you would feel each pull the tuna does...

This the one on my torch. I don't think they designed for "TUNA" hunting:confused:

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT