• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Books on Freediving Training ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Moti

Apr 18, 2002
Hi ,
I'm looking for a basic book on Freediving training .
basiclly i want to start training and have no clue where to start
i've read through the forum but a lot of it i can't understand :
for example - what is "packs" .
thanks .
Moti

BOOKS, WHO NEEDS BOOKS WHEN YOU HAVE DEEPERBLUE

HA HA HA

anyway,

eric fattah wrote a very good article on his method of equalizing (i can never spell it right so i wont even bother trying) and it includes a part on packing

and welcome to deeperblue

have fun and dont be afraid to ask questions

Hello and welcome!

I've heard "Freedive" is a great book I think it is by Terry mass.

No good books

Unfortunately there are no good books on freedive training. 'Freedive!' by Terry Maas is a good book, but it is very simple, for the novice who knows nothing. 'Homo Delphinus' by Mayol is a must read for any freediver, but it is not about training, it is about man's relationship to the water. I heard that Stefano Makula wrote a book mostly about training, but I don't know if it is in English; Pelizzari's 'Profondamente' is still not available in English.

The internet is your best bet.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

During the course with Umberto P. in Egypt last month I received a copy of his book "Corso di Apnea". It's in italian, but it's a very good book. What it looks like (after many hours of translating) it's the course from Umberto written down to a book. It's not expensive: 35 euro. Umberto told me that maybe at the end of the year they start translating the book to english, so maybe...

What about the book of Tanya Streeter that should have come out in May? A looked at amazon but still the same note, that it will come out...

Tanya Streeter's book

Hey I was wondering the same thing about Tanya's book. I hope it's a good book, for 45us it should be!

I hate to disapoint everyone but I spoke to Tanya earlier in the year about her book and she said she isn't writing one. Apparently the publisher that approached her has registered with Amazon and is causing the confusion.

Thanks,

Good freediving books

During the course with Umberto P. in Egypt last month I received a copy of his book "Corso di Apnea". It's in italian, but it's a very good book.
I absolutly agree with Jorg's comment. "Corso di apnea" is simply the book to own.

If you are looking for a book on training, just don't buy "Profondamente". It's a good biography and has nice pictures in it, but except for "you must become water" there is neither advice on technique and training nor are any exercises included. (Similar to Jacques Mayol's "Homo Delphinus". Excellent book, but the only advice on apnea is to eat garlic and not to think about time during statics...)

Stefano Makula's "Guida all'immersione in apnea" (Italian) is not bad either, but shorter than "Corso di Apnea" and simply a little bit less modern.

For those of you interested in monofins and dynamic apnea Francis Fèvre's "L'apnée-Glisse en Monopalme" (French) can be highly recommended. Especially the detailled tables of exercises to take your dynamic to 100 m are very useful. (No, my dynamic is still less than 100 m...)

For those of you interested in the physiology of apnea diving, Jacques Corriol's "La plongée en apnée - Physiologie et médecine" (French) should be very useful. The huge bibliography given will satisfy anybody who really wants to dig deep.
Unfortunately, the concept of packing is not discussed, yet.

I hope that now everybody has a few reasons more to learn French and Italian :D

Have fun!
Uli

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT