• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Books to read

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Sal

Jul 31, 2004
Are there any diving/spearfishing books, magazines that you would recommend a relatively new diver read.

"Freedive!" by Sipperley and Maas

Any of Carlos Eyles' books on freediving, hunting and photography

Umberto Pellizzari's "Corso di Apnea" (though I've heard rumors of an eventual English translation, it's available only now in Italian as far as I know, but it's worth picking through with a bilingual dictionary if necessary

Originally posted by Tommy Engfors
Isn't "Freedive!" out of print these days?
Hmm, I dunno ... Amazon.com shows it as a special order, not as out-of-print. I thought I saw it in local dive shops in the past few months, though some of them might have older stock on hand.
Have you read that book yourself? Opinion?
Yes, it was the first book I bought when I got interested in freediving about three years ago. I remember thinking that it didn't have as much as I hoped for on the actual technique of freediving and training to extend breathhold. I didn't run across that kind of information until I took the Performance Freediving clinic. However, I thought the book was okay as sort of a general survey of what freediving is about (leaning toward spearfishing rather than competitive freediving).

Thanks for swift reply!

I was curious about the book (Freddive!) earlier but I understand now that it is too shallow (no pun intended!).

I searched Amazon for Carlos Eyle but didn't find anything. Can you name any books he has written?

Originally posted by Tommy Engfors
I searched Amazon for Carlos Eyle but didn't find anything. Can you name any books he has written?
Try again, but spell his last name Eyles with an S on the end. When I try this on Amazon, I come up with "Last of the Blue Water Hunters" (autobiographical reminiscences on freediving/hunting), "The Blue Edge" (update on reminiscences with his more recent life), "Secret Seas" (short stories involving diving and the sea), and "Dolphin Borne" (a fictional story about a diver who gets stranded in the open ocean). I enjoyed the first two books in particular.

Frank,

Tried to give you some karma, but it didn't work (nothing happend).

I checked out the books on Amazon (with proper spelling). Thanks. I might try and get his first book ("The last of...") sometime in the future. Just a shame there aren't more books about this... (though there are loads of scuba-ones).

Thanks again.

There are not many books on the subject. Most are already mentioned here.

IANTD has two nice freedive manuals. One for novices and another for more experienced freedivers. You could try to contact them about it.

There is Jacques Mayol’s Homo Delphinus, The Dolphin within man (ISBN: 1-928649-03-3) Beautiful book with lots of storeys and nice pictures but hardly any information on how to freedive or train for it but it might be interesting for a novice diver.

There is a very good German book: Dagmar Andres-Brümer's Apnoetauchen, Grundlagen Trainingstipps, Praxis (ISBN 3-89594-086-0)

There is a French book: Henri Corriol, La Plongée en apnée : Physiologie et médecine (ISBN : 2294009193)

Freediver magazine from Howard Jones is a nice magazine (www.freediver.co.uk)
I am sure there are several other French and Italian magazines (if you understand the language). I do not know if there are English magazines on spearfishing, there might be but I do not know them.

Pippin productions used to sell instruction video's and other things on spearfishing/ freediving. I do not know if they still do.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: Tommy Engfors
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT