• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bore size of snorkels

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
am i the only one, when spitting my snorkel who gets a mouthfull of water instead of air when i surface, because the water runs down the tube, hits the bend, and shoots up into my mouth.

rofl
Happens to me atleast once per diving day!
Just spit it further! :D
I keep mine loose enough (inside the mask strap, not with snorkle holder) so it usally don't take that position. Though that made me loose my snorkel in a realy wavey day on the exit. :(
Haven't found a good replacement yet.

Hiya Griff

Try putting your snorkel back into your mouth and exhaling when you surface. The air will then force all the water out and you can then just inhale when you reach the surface.

Or else, simply just surface with-out replacing your snorkel, take in some much needed air :D , then replace your snorkel.

I've found that when spearing in the shallows, you get much better results by spitting out your snorkel. Less noise in the water. Ever watch your dive buddy descend with his snorkel in his mouth?? You'll see a string of bubbles escape from his snorkel as the water displaces the air in the snorkel. Very noisy for the fishies:D :D

Regards
miles

Originally posted by miles
Hiya Griff

Try putting your snorkel back into your mouth and exhaling when you surface. The air will then force all the water out and you can then just inhale when you reach the surface.
Hmm, was'nt it discussed enough why it is not good for freedivers to have a snorkel in their mouth underwater?
Exhaling inorder to empty the snorkel might help a hasitating blackout to decide and come visit.
I prefer making recovery breaths with head above water, snorkel out, not face down already preparing for the next dive. If you're diving with a partner this is needed for your partner to ensure you've not blacked out after reaching the surface. I've seen a diver come up, answer a short question with a 'yeah' put his face back in the water as in preparing for the next dive, but snorkel was still out of his mouth :duh. Only short b/o or samba (borderline case between the 2) I've seen so far. O, and he's a tremendous diver with amazing abilities, and that dive was short and shallower than 20m I think. I think that packing might have caused it. Don't remember though, he could've dove empty lungs as well and forgot to tell me.

Anyway, I say snorkel out. Problem can be solved with changing snorkel ruotine - positioning/holder/spitting/side/snorkel itself.

By the way Miles, cool boat!! can I be your friend? :D

what i'm talking about is that after i spit the snorkel, the mouthpiece remains just in front of my mouth, in its neutral position, so instead of air, i get salt water. i tried the easy, and obvious solution, by twisting the snorkel in its holder so it faces away from my mouth. but even better for freediving was holding the snorkel in my hands, and carrying it on the dive. very easy, and no snorkel vibrations on the way up. pity it wont work for spearing.

anyone tried/have opinions on the picasso 'air' snorkel? the wide bore looks/sounds good, for breathing up.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT