• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Brain damage

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Re: harmful

Originally posted by cebaztian
I have noticed that my general concentration has degenarated and that I on occasions have a "worse memory" than I use to. And this worries me. Sebastian

Sebastian:
Are you getting enough rest? I mean really good quality rest. If I don't get rid of my stress levels and they accumulate over several days, increasing tiredness, my memory and concentration starts decreasing. As soon as I get enough rest my memory gets back to normal.

Naiad:
Just wear a gold swimsuit and look in a mirror next time you're underwater. ;)
Adrian

I don't know how yesterday's train of thought led me from fitness training to goldfish. :confused:

Anyone know where to get a gold swimsuit? ;)

Lucia

Originally posted by naiad
The memory span of a goldfish is supposed to be 3 seconds...
I like goldfish.....I wish I had some.....
Lucia
I don't agree with that "gold fish has X seconds memory span" myth, X usally being in the 3-11 seconds range.
It seems that lot's of people say that, but no one can actually support it. What more, I think I heard a few reports from people who grow fish that have proofs it is not true.
This is one of the reasons I'm against growing fish in aquariums. I think it's cruel.
Maybe if you have a huge aquarium with a complex environment inside it could be ok, but puting a goldfish inside one of those small bowls with a castle seems like animal torture to me.:hmm

I agree that it is cruel to keep goldfish in little bowls - when I was about 7 there were some goldfish at school, and from what I remember they had a very hard life, being held out of the water, dropped on the floor, etc. After a while the teacher let me take them home because I was the only one who looked after them, and I have always had pets since then.

They can certainly remember things for more than a few seconds, because they know that someone going near their pond probably means that they are going to be fed, and they gather near the surface. This happens even if the last time they were fed was a lot more than 3 seconds ago.

I would only keep them in a pond or a very large tank.

Lucia

I also experience slower mental processes after diving, which I do not at all think is unusual. After weight lifting I tend to find myself and others to be a little slower at opening doors and bending over to pick things up. After hiking up the mountain, I tend to go up stairs a little slower. So, I do not think it is unfair to suggest that some of us are fatigued after diving, and that translates to less direct energy to certain areas while others are undergoing training adaptations, enhancements, and just plain high metabolism.

In the long term, since I have been diving, I have been accelerating at my logical thinking (determined through communication and problem solving skills), my artisitic abilities, and my memory still seems extremely good (semi-photographic, however). I am not implying the diving is the reason, although it may influence this or be fundamental. Just the fact is, that whether it be because of continued interest and pursuit of these areas, or due to enhancements from diving, I am definately not degrading.

I dive 2 times a week on average, often 3-4 times some weeks. I have had one BO, but a few LMC's.

Just thought I would share my experience.

Cheers,

Tyler

I have found that I have had no problems with my....uh......had a great dive this morning, went out in good conditions and then, we...uh....good luck to all those who are competing in the..that..uuh...

What was this forum thread about again ?

Reactions: naiad
Re: harmful

Originally posted by cebaztian
I find the original question very intresting.

I have noticed that my general concentration has degenarated and that I on occasions have a "worse memory" than I use to. And this worries me.
Sebastian

I've noticed such "symptoms" in myself far before I even started freediving. I think that at least for males, it is quite common to lose the ability to concentrate on several things at a time with age. I used to laugh at my father when I was a kid, how he would sit at his computer and reply "oh, ok, fine" to me, but not hearing or understanding or "really" registering a single word I said. Imagine my surprise when I noticed a few years back that I'd gotten the same :)

Also, with extended periods of fatigue, not getting enough sleep, stress and even mild depression, I have noticed my mind start to slip and lose it's "edge". I'll often find myself forgetting what I was trying to say in mid-sentence and almost impossible to concentrate on anything complicated. It passes though when I get a healthy amount of sleep and reduce what ever has been causing stress in my life. The main step in accomlishing this is identifying the fact that you might be stressed. Easier said than done...

If anything, freediving has helped me reduce such stress and improve my mental fitness, though not necessarilly through actual physiological changes as much as just simply helping me relax.

Just my experiences...Even though extreme apnea might cause mild brain damage, I doubt it compares to sniffing glue, which seems to be a favorite pass time of many kids these days. Just stick to freediving ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: cebaztian
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT