• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

brand newbie with Q's

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

78sharpshooter

Aug 26, 2004
I have been considering taking up spearfishing and have spent a good deal of time reading forums, articles, etc. and am almost ready to try it. I live in the San Diego area and from what I have read it seems to be a good spot. Tentatively I have settled on the Sporasub Aspic 75mm. Any thoughts on this particular gun? I haven't found a good pair of inexpensive fins so any suggestion is welcomed. I am hesistant to hit the water the first time by myself but may not have an option. A little about myself; I am a grad student at UCSD and am into big and small game hunting, metalwork (machining and welding), gunsmithing, bladesmithing. I could certainly make my own spear tips, shafts, and knives. I love challenges and am up for this one. My determination is off the scale (I got my first deer last November by myself, on public land, and hiked 17 miles that day).

I would invest in a good pair of free diving fins. These usually cost about $1-$200. Having these as opposed to cheaper ones will greatly increased or bottom time because you will use less energy swimming around and less energy getting to the bottom. They will also help you stabilize and hover when you are leveling off to shoot a fish better than smaller fins would. And if you need to give chase you will be able to chase the fish faster. If you end up really getting into spearfishing you will the end up buying these things anyways.

Sporasub H.Dessault fns, Cressi-sub Minina or Superocchio mask and any deceny wetsuit shout get you started and immedeatly hooked ;) and yhey all can be bought at some of the lowest prices from www.scubastore.com

and welcome to DB!!!

Thanks guys!!

I was just out surf fishing this morning and realized how much I want to start spearfishing. I have the highest level of respect for spearfishermen. I could almost feel the ocean beckoning me to venture out. Even though money is tight now I am going to sell stuff on eBay so I can get the gear (Sporasub Viper 100cm, fins, mask, homemade knife out of 440C stainless flatstock). Thanks again for the advice!!!

coll

the black viper is great gun bc. it will serve you well even after you advance a bit. as far as fins id say Gara 3000s on www.diveinn.com good luck keep us updated...

78, I live in the area. It is my unprofessional opininon that you might want a bigger gun than a 75 cm. That will work well in low vis condidtions and on bass and sheepheads but ocasionaly it can clear up arounf here, and there are bigger fish about. If you have a way off getting to deeper water by boat or kayak, I think a bigger gun would serve you well. I have a 120 south african gun that I am quite pleased with. It seems like a big gun, unitl there is a big WSB in front of it.

i advise you OMER Millenium fins.
You can easily upgrade these fins later because their's blades are changeable, and they have differebt stiffnes options unlike gara 3000.

Grey blades (Millenium winter) softest blade ideal for surface swimming and shallow water divings.

Black-Green blades (Millenium standart) stiffer than grey blades but still usable on the surface and better for deeper waters.

Black blades (Millenium Competitions) stiffest model of milleniums less suitable to the surface swimming but better for deeper waters.

Those blades are really cheap. I advise you to first buy grey blades and standart blades as an extra so you can change them according your needs for different king of hunting.

my friend recently got the milleniums. in my opinion they are too bulky and heavy (especially the part where ur feet go in). I like to be as light and streamlined as i can be. I have the cressi garas, i love em.

Hi sharpshooter,
I'm another land hunter making the transition to the sea. I live in the Long Beach area but if you want to meet halfway between us, I could use a partner, too (I am too soon old und too late schmart to dive by myself.)

tag team

Sarge-
sounds like a possibility. Once I get my gear I will PM you and maybe we could meet up in the southern Orange county area? Do you have any particular areas in mind? Thanks

Other than thinking that staying out of Camp Pendleton might be a good idea, no I don't. I'll try to contact Roan who's in OC and get some ideas. Also, I attend Long Beach Neptune meetings so I will ask some of them. My equipment so far lacks a float and a spear. I think I'll start with that before I go to a gun. One of the Neptune members, Mori, makes custom spearguns. He used to be a gunsmith so his trigger mechanisms have a great reputation.

HEY BOYD!!

Check your PM's buddy!

And whilst I'm here with you denizens of the South, I'm going to be in PV on Friday, and San Diego on Sat/Sun and need the 411 on what's going on where lately. Feel free to email me by clicking on the PM button and hooking me up.

muchos.
sven

Last edited:
Re: Thanks guys!!

Originally posted by 78sharpshooter
Even though money is tight now I am going to sell stuff on eBay so I can get the gear

ya know, you could always go with a hawaiian sling spear. thats what i use and im telling you man its way more fun than a spear gun and i think its a lot harder.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT