• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Branko Petrovic 10:17 STA

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
As a period of transition I propose that as soon someone has improved the WR in a competition (... real one ...) One cannot do more international record attempts in that category.

What do you people think?

As a period of transition I propose that as soon someone has improved the WR in a competition (... real one ...) One cannot do more international record attempts in that category.

What do you people think?

Makes sense i think not to have individual record attempts but why wait until someone improves the WR at a comp? It's more likely for someone to improve the WR at an individual attempt, which makes things worse... So i think might be better if the rules could change right away, even if this spoils my plans. Lol

I appreciate there is the issue of what happens to the current WR but maybe that just stays for now, sooner or later it'll be broken in comp anyway.

The other option is to organise an individual WR attempt for Branko, he breaks the WR and THEN we change the rules and invalidate the individual WRs in which case Branko still stays as WR holder. Simples. :friday

Well let's see what World Records in the competition disciplines are individual attempt records?

I see on the AIDA international website no attempts scheduled for any of the competition disciplines, so apparently the road is clear for the assembly to change this for season 2012.
Actually I could argue the sooner it's done the better since the distance between the individual attempts and competition results is not super big. It looks to me though that we're at a point where differences are going to become bigger, as the discipline static has demonstrated for a while now.
On the other hand we do have to consider that athletes like Martin Stepanek can and do make good use of individual attempts where they ONLY are in the eye of the camera.
Again it's a trade off...

Maybe we could change or add some of the competition rules to equalise the circumstances somewhat to individual attempts?

Actually I feel a bit more for helping competition athletes instead of limiting individual attempts.

My opinion is that as soon as someone brake it it on competition it should be sealed for no more reccord attempts. but also give a chance to the people that want to brake the record to do it on competition, like a record attempt but on competition. while everyone are present, and have the same tretmant (this way you can compare other people results with new record holder, and compare it to his previous). plus a lot of witneces.
It would be more like a competition with more attempts, because if someone wants, and have money he can organise competition when he think he will be in best shape. so again it is simmilar to record attempt, just a way around the rules.
This way everybody would be happy. plus of course immidiately doping test after record is set, plus for the wr holders doping test during the all year long! like competitors of CMAS are on the WADA list. As I set the cmas record now I am in obligation to reposr to W-ADAS (anty doping agency of serbia) all the time and they can take my sample any time, if I refuse to give, it is considered same as I failed.
because a lot of talking about un proved doping is really bad for this sport, most of people do not believe it is posibile to do 5 min, or 30m! and when they hear about doping, they instantly assume that that is the way we have this results.
just my oppinion :)

It is not perfect because it is from the cell phone, but here is protocol practiceing from last training.
Hope you like it :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXRrWoUhP0I]Branko Petrovic Static Apnea 10:38 - YouTube[/ame]

Reactions: Kars
Like 10min, but I quit because contractions are too strong not because of xipoxia. with packing I almost do not have them, which is great feeling. but lately, something happend so first contraction is startig earlier, usually was at 8:30, now is at 6:20. maybe I am youst not packing enough :-/ or I am just overtrained.
but this was youst fast practice we had litlle time to do it because of some other competition. I was breathing like 1 min plus packing.
:)

Long time ago I did max DNF (had contractions) it was like 4 years ago I did 135m. back then max dinamic was 120m with contracions, and static like 6min. but since then I have not been doing maximums or practicing DYN or DNF, I always got out at first contraction. On Submania cup I got out at 140m DYN, because at that distance I felt that contraction is comeing but did not have it.
But soon I plan to start doing dinamics, problem is that i am doing it all soo slow 50m with bi fins=1min. 135m no fins=4:30sec. :-/

Thank you Branko.

With such an performance in STA I think you should challenge your self and start working on the other two pool disciplines too.

Who knows, you might bring awesome results to the community!

we will see :) I will start but first I want to do my plan with static, then I am going to other pool disciplines as well as sea disciplines. I wanted to make like a good base for other disciplines which is static. after you have static, you can do other stuff more relaxed. :)

During dynamics top freedivers like Tom Sietas apparently also have early contractions, like after 70m. The thing they excel in is keeping calm and riding them for a long, LONG time.

I don't thing contractions are bad, one just needs to stay loose and relaxed while having them.

In my modest 6 min. statics I'll have them from 2:15 - or 2:45.

So for dynamics I think that after your static WR you may want to experiment with different speeds and approaches.

what do you think is it worth swiching from stereo fins to monofin? it will require a lot of practice! but, maybe will also give longer distance. have any idea how much more is giveing monofin compared to stereofin. hipoteticly that you are good at both ways. because last WR done with stereofins was I think by Tom Sietas, so it would be great to know example how much Mulins or Colak can do with bi fins.

I agree it would be great to know the ratio of monofin versus bifin dynamics.

There only one soul that can know that in the universe, the man of some nations, the man of many numbers, Ivo the fantastic! I'm handling my mike over to Ivo with an appropriate bow to his Lordship.

As for strategy, consider that Both Tom Sietas and Stephan Mifsud employed bifins on their dynamics doing great performances.
Also I find that learning a good monofin technique can be very challenging. It's a technique that demands great sense of balance and timing, as well as flexibility. So if you need to THINK about your swimming all the time then monofinning will be less efficient.

If I picture me being in your position, I would first try and test bi-fins. I believe Tom Sietas' old bi-fins pb was not far from Alexey's WR... So I take it can be done, and it would fit your style/ability.

I think there is no harm in learning to use the monofin in your spare time, maybe you have some talent for that too!

Ok, Ivo, I'm now very eager to hear the bi and monofin ratio numbers!

Sorry, I have no separate statistics, no hard numbers on bi-fins vs. monofins, but my opinion is that the current monofins are no obvious advantage in comparison to bi-fins from point of view of the maximal DYN distance, and that I wouldn't be at all surprised if a bi-finner beated the WR now. Hydrofoils like th DOLfin have more potential, on my mind, but the current bi-fins could be considerably improved too, so I still believe bi-finners have a chance to beat the 300m milestone (and perhaps more).

what do you think is it worth swiching from stereo fins to monofin? it will require a lot of practice! but, maybe will also give longer distance. have any idea how much more is giveing monofin compared to stereofin. hipoteticly that you are good at both ways. because last WR done with stereofins was I think by Tom Sietas, so it would be great to know example how much Mulins or Colak can do with bi fins.

I'm trying to imagine myself in your shoes and I would go with Kars' suggestion ie try practicing with bi-fins and see how it goes and if you have some spare time maybe just try learning to monofin and see - maybe it comes very naturally to you but equally, you might find it awkward too...

You think 70m is early for contractions?

A lot of the guys I know and dive with (myself included) start in the 30-60m range. 1:50 is usually when my static contractions start

seriously now how can you hold it? when my contractions starts under 6:20 I am all upset. the good static is when contractions start over 8min. in dynamic usually around 100m last time I got out and did not have them at 140m.
now I have to try dinamyc all way to the end to see what will happend, and also static to prepeare my self to go for total maximmum.
something is totaly different, like when I am doing co2 tabels I start with 1:45 breathing 7 min static. first three statics usually I have no contractions, and later slowly they come to start at 6min, 5min... 2:30 min. 7 statics each time drop of 15 sec. it must be diferrent trainig because some people I trained they show same behavior as I do. late contractions but less holding, which makes static really comfortable. It would be fantastic to have late contractions and still hold them for such a long time.
Cris how I supose do static now, my mind is all about this! now i wont be able to sleep :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT