• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question Breath control and the pharynx

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

nyugimugi

Feb 27, 2019
Hello everyone!

I have prompted a couple of searches about this, but did not find a topic I'm about to open. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry lol.

I have some questions on two things. The first one is the use of the pharynx.

I've always unconsciously closed by pharynx when doing a breath hold underwater or on land. I did it everytime. Now what I found out is that using the pharynx is "cheating" in a way, isn't it? Because if you close the way of air your diaphragm is relieved. It doesn't have to focus on keeping the breath in, not wasting it out, neither suck water in...
Bad thing is, I tried out breath holding with opened pharynx... My stomach burned after a minute... This is very awkward, so I started practising breath hold with opened pharynx to train my ashamingly weak diaphragm.
What do you think about this?

Second thing I wanna ask you about is related to the first one in a way. A lot of people around me can go underwater face-up and apply a pressure in their nose that is enough to prevent water from getting into the nose, but without releasing any bubbles. Everyone told me it was easy to do and they could accomplish this after a few attempts.
I have been suffering with it for a month now. Everytime I go to the swimming pool, I keep trying this, but what I realized is that I just cannot apply that little pressure continuously that would do the maneuver... However, if I scrunch my face and shrink my nasal passages, it is easier. I either blow little bubbles, or stop breathing out and water floods my nose, but between the two, I cannot control my breath simultaneously. ( I know I can use my pharynx as well to help controlling the breath )
Can this disability be the result of me not using, therefore not training my diaphragm at all, ever? I hope strenghtening my diaphragm will grant me the ability to control my breath in a more sophisticated way so I can learn that thing! Do you know some good methods to strenghten my diaphragm?

Thanks in advance:

Andrew

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT