• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

breath up on surface

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jero

Jul 20, 2001
What do you think wich is better and why: breath up before dive with snorkel or without it?
I mean, with snorkel you are in better position since you're already facing the bottom, but without snorkel with your face above the surface you breath "clean" air (plus its easier/faster to pack)...
I am practicing both right now and I have similar results so I don't know on wich routine I should focus on...

front or back

Jero
Did you see the message from Eric? It sounds like there is a big difference on how much air you inhale in each position and it's very individual. I did some tests today and it seems that I get as much air with a snorkel and no packs as I do on my back with 6-7 packs. I was surprised. There is still the 'dead air' and being more relaxed issues though. Time to work on snorkel packing I guess.

Aloha
Bill

Re: front or back

Originally posted by Bill

Did you see the message from Eric?
I am afraid that I missed it... Where can I find it, please?

Re: front or back

Originally posted by Bill
Time to work on snorkel packing I guess.
Bill

You just pack that bad ol' Farallon good and careful and send it C.O.D. amigo. :inlove

sven DB's advocate of breathing deep while on my back.

While I'm hardly practiced at it (yet), I find breathing up and packing on my back very effective -- especially if I can hold the line while I do it. A relaxed roll over, followed by a tuck and pull to get under the surface works really well. I can't pack through a snorkel worth a damn, and on the weekend I didn't even take a snorkel into the water... and it was sure nice not to have it flapping and banging around all the time.

front and back

I just wasted a half hour looking for an efattah post that I know was less than ten days ago. Sorry.
Eric, Mandy and ? apparently measured max inhale standing, sitting, face down and face up. The results were not what you'd expect. I recommend you measure your own results and not go by feelings. If you have access to 40 feet of water, it's really easy to compare lung volume by finding your neutral point.
Sven, I'm counting on you to find us a supply of snorkels. If you can find Anderson a spot to get an ab to equal my best in 25 years of trying, it should be a simple task. Please hurry, mine came apart twice last weekend and I only subjected it to normal abuse.

Aloha
Bill

wrapping my swivel ?

I just delete the efattah posts, Bill. Saves time and space :mute
Oh alright!, the guy's pretty good I hear.

Anyways, I've been all over hell and breakfast trying to locate any of the principals and tooling for the damn things and no luck. But I will persevere whilst wrapping e-tape on my swivel. (Now there's an invitation...)

I was on HanaPaa.com or however they spell it, and saw the AQA line of snorkels. It looked like they had a couple w/the right shape and one even had a nifty purge valve on it. What're the chances of you being able to mosey over for a critical looksee?

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT