• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Breathing before diving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

blackyman7

Apr 21, 2020
This might be a stupid question but I’m not too sure about how I should breath before going under. I’m very new to free diving, I’m fourteen and can hold my breath for 1:40, and I’m planning to start training myself. Nevertheless anytime before trying to hold my breath I inhale through my nose and then out through my mouth deeply for about a minute and a half. Is this common practise, or should I be training myself to go straight down on one breath (if that’s understandable).

Reactions: Mr. X
This might be a stupid question but I’m not too sure about how I should breath before going under. I’m very new to free diving, I’m fourteen and can hold my breath for 1:40, and I’m planning to start training myself. Nevertheless anytime before trying to hold my breath I inhale through my nose and then out through my mouth deeply for about a minute and a half. Is this common practise, or should I be training myself to go straight down on one breath (if that’s understandable).
First off, don't every practice breath holds in the water by yourself. You could pass out and die. Always have a buddy to spot you.
Breathing up for a breath hold should be somewhat deeper than just normal everyday breathing, but should be slow and relaxed. On the inhale you should fill you lungs over a period of several seconds, maybe 5 ,6, or ,7, or whatever feels natural and relaxed for you. Don't try to get a maximum lung full, just enough to comfortably fill you up. You don't want it to feel like work. On the exhale just let the natural elasticity of your rib cage force the air out - just let the air "fall" out, then at the end just do a little squeeze of your abdomen to force the last part out. But again, in a relaxed way. You don't need to strain or force ALL of the air out. The key to breathe up is relaxed breathing to fill and empty your lungs with no straining. So you should be doing a breath cycle evey 10 or 15 seconds. Do this relaxed deep breathing for a few minutes before starting a breath hold. Look at forums on Deeperblue. Learn about "belly" breathing - the preferred way to breath - fiil your "belly" first (bottom of lungs) follwed by the upper lungs/rib cage.

1:40 static or walking?

First off, don't every practice breath holds in the water by yourself. You could pass out and die. Always have a buddy to spot you.
Breathing up for a breath hold should be somewhat deeper than just normal everyday breathing, but should be slow and relaxed. On the inhale you should fill you lungs over a period of several seconds, maybe 5 ,6, or ,7, or whatever feels natural and relaxed for you. Don't try to get a maximum lung full, just enough to comfortably fill you up. You don't want it to feel like wtweakbox appvalley https://vlc.onl/ ork. On the exhale just let the natural elasticity of your rib cage force the air out - just let the air "fall" out, then at the end just do a little squeeze of your abdomen to force the last part out. But again, in a relaxed way. You don't need to strain or force ALL of the air out. The key to breathe up is relaxed breathing to fill and empty your lungs with no straining. So you should be doing a breath cycle evey 10 or 15 seconds. Do this relaxed deep breathing for a few minutes before starting a breath hold. Look at forums on Deeperblue. Learn about "belly" breathing - the preferred way to breath - fiil your "belly" first (bottom of lungs) follwed by the upper lungs/rib cage.
issue solved!!

The best favor you can do for yourself is take a professional level freediving class. This will save you an enormous amount of time, money, effort, besides possibly saving your life. You will also have the time of your life and meet all kinds of people (and girls) that like to do what you do.

Hi Blackyman7, I see that you are in the USA. With Corona lockdown on, I have been watching some of the spearfishing youtube videos by Florida Freedivers (a shop and on-line store). The videos don't show their training but they talk about it a lot. Their freediving training, especially their 2 day weekend "Level 1" courses, which includes pool time, sounds very good. I think it costs just over $200 - check out their videos/website if interested. Apparently it involves a lot on the safety procedures as well as improving your dive times. Something like this would likely save you a lot of time and might save your life, or that of somebody you dive with. Although, come to think of it, I think they have a minimum age of 16 but no upper limit (they've trained an 82 year old successfully).

Freediving and spearfishing are great fun but you need to be aware of the risks, not least Shallow Water Blackout and sambas, and ways to mitigate the risks. It's great to see youngsters getting involved but I think we all get a little worried/protective when we see people under 16 starting out - even though many of us started out as teenagers or even earlier. So you'll need to make allowances for us ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT