• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Breathing Excercises

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Aegir

Jan 14, 2001
I am thinking about getting into freediving. Could some kind person maybe give me some info on how to increase lung volume and the breathing excercises associated with this. Thankyou :DD

Hi
I am not an expert so don´t take this as a clue how to make a 8 liters lungs. it is just a suggestion from amateur. A work out which I read somewhere on the net was : siting on a ground straight legs, inhale and than slowly turn your torso at one side, get back and ¨the same thing at the other side. After 10 rep you will feel how your chest are stretching. Ones you got your chest stretched lungs have a space to grow if you give than enough work out as running, swimming etc.

take care
:DD

Training Aids

Well, I would suggest doing the following as a general guideline:

Swim laps. Fin swim and regular swimming helps to develop overall cardiovascular fitness.

Practice deep breathing techniques. Yoga has certainly helped many who are involved in the sport. I myself practice basic yoga for additional flexibility. But my main resource is using the powerlung on alternate days with lung packing.

Get plenty of rest and eat responsibly. You are what yo eat. Your body will respond to training beter if you don;t eat junk food. I also take suppliments that include Ginko-Biloba, Ginseng, Bee-Pollen, and Yohimbe. The latter will raise your blood pressure in certain individuals, but it also helps to increase oxygenation to the brain.

HTH,

Techniques

I use a few different techniques. I don't think that lung volume has as much to do with bottom time as some people think: certainly it helps for deep equalization(Mayol didn't have big lungs-he was holding his breath for 4 minutes at 150' in experiments). Between dives, I spend at least 3 minutes breathing very deeply-inhale for 4 to to 6 heartbeats, hold gently for 3 or 4 heartbeats, and exhale for around 4 beats. When I'm ready to dive, I inhale for 4 beats and exhale without control, meaning that I let the breath out under it's own power. I do this about 5 times. Then I do the same thing again for 3 more reps, except I exhale forcefully through pursed lips. For the final breath I will exhale as deeply as possible, and turn on my side and spit out my snorkel to get "clean" air. My static breath hold was 4:30 until I tried the exhaling without restraint method. It instantly and consistently jumped to 5:30, so I use it all the time now. I have started to use the packing technique that is described by Eric Fattah in this website for stretching, and pre-dive. Packing has helped with equalization at depth: 6 "packs" before the dive seem to help.Any more than that (pre-dive) seems to negate itself, bottom-time-wise. Cheers, Erik

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT