• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Buddy or group trip to? Bonaire, Dominica, Little Cayman, or ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cdavis

Jan 21, 2003
This used to work really well.

Late summer 2021 or later, covid will be behind us. I'm looking for 1 or more divers for any of the above locations, timing discussable, 1-2 weeks duration, maybe more. I've done Little Cayman and it is freediving fabulous, heard great tales about Dominica and Bonaire would be easy and interesting.

Anybody interested?

Late summer 2021 or later, covid will be behind us. I'm looking for 1 or more divers for any of the above locations, timing discussable, 1-2 weeks duration, maybe more. I've done Little Cayman and it is freediving fabulous, heard great tales about Dominica and Bonaire would be easy and interesting.

Anybody interested?
I have been to Bonaire twice and it might disappoint a few people. Basically the place is very nice for an off-the shore scubadivers. You can go practically anywhere without a boat drop. But the bottom turns from corral to sand pretty shallow and there is nothing to see there. For snorkelers you have colorful fish and shallow corrals in some places. There are a few places where you can go deeper and see some larger marine life like turtles or barracudas. The best place is Washington-Slagbaai National Park - it is more rocky at greater depth. I saw some red snappers there at around 25 meters hiding under the ledges.

Anybody interested?

I have been to Bonaire twice and it might disappoint a few people. Basically the place is very nice for an off-the shore scubadivers. You can go practically anywhere without a boat drop. But the bottom turns from corral to sand pretty shallow and there is nothing to see there. For snorkelers you have colorful fish and shallow corrals in some places. There are a few places where you can go deeper and see some larger marine life like turtles or barracudas. The best place is Washington-Slagbaai National Park - it is more rocky at greater depth. I saw some red snappers there at around 25 meters hiding under the ledges.
Thanks for the report

That fits what I know of the place plus the vis is good but not fabulous. Still, its easy and I haven't been there

Thanks for the report

That fits what I know of the place plus the vis is good but not fabulous. Still, its easy and I haven't been there
The visibility was excellent. Less than 40-45 meters of horizontal vis in Mexico but absolutely no complaints! It is indeed an easy place to dive - I went there with my 81 at the time years old father and he saw a lot of cool stuff from the surface. Accommodations and car rentals are reasonable and people are super friendly and not trying to cheat you like in Tortola for example. My issue is that if you are lucky - the largest thing under water you will see is a tarpon. Outside of the corral fish there is not much to see. Maybe it is better if you take a boat trip but I never did that.

The visibility was excellent. Less than 40-45 meters of horizontal vis in Mexico but absolutely no complaints! It is indeed an easy place to dive - I went there with my 81 at the time years old father and he saw a lot of cool stuff from the surface. Accommodations and car rentals are reasonable and people are super friendly and not trying to cheat you like in Tortola for example. My issue is that if you are lucky - the largest thing under water you will see is a tarpon. Outside of the corral fish there is not much to see. Maybe it is better if you take a boat trip but I never did that.
I'm bad spoiled by the Bahamas. Anything less than 30 m and I'm disappointed. Videos of Bonair looked like considerably less than that.

I'm bad spoiled by the Bahamas. Anything less than 30 m and I'm disappointed. Videos of Bonair looked like considerably less than that.
First of all it is probably 30 or close. Secondly you do not nee visibility like that there in most places. Sand starts no deeper than 25m, sometimes much less. Anyway it is worth a trip.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT