• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

building a speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jdham

Sep 1, 2002
Hey folks. I'm new to scuba and getting interested in freediving and hunting. I'm one of those types that are into old school things (I ride a 30 year old motorcycle) and, as wierd as it sounds, I'd like to build my own speargun in the style of the old rifle lookalikes like you you in old pictures of the early days of freediving. Does anyone know where to find plans for one and how to find trigger mechanisms? Any ideas or advice? Thanks folks.

John David

Hi John,

Unless you have own a few well built guns, I don't think you need to built one urself. I understand the satisfaction thing but you have no reference of quality, performance and actual use in water until you own one good one and use it long enough.

If you want a trigger assy you can source from these companies :

Riffe, Steve Alexander, Internet Custom Speargun and Aimrite/Wong.

Don't even think of making ur own triggers unless you want to spend much money and time cause long term reliability will be the issue + sweet release + creep and so on.

All in all you will spend more money than buying one.

ENJOY,
Iya

I think so ! ! !

Just buy new speargun that suits your requirments and budget then start to enjoy;) ;) ;)

go for it!

...but it ain't cheap. Still nailing dinner with a gun you made is a pretty smooth feeling.

http://spearguns.netfirms.com is the site for Bill Kitto and he's got links to Steve Alexander as well. You'll see photos and tools and all the good stuff.

I've been documenting my latest gun and will have a breakdown of the time and costs when i get a tad closer to completion. But even if I didn't factor in the time, it'll be my most expensive gun, and I have a few.

Good luck!

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT